Register to reply

Oil shortens lifespan of halogen bulbs?

by DaveC426913
Tags: bulbs, halogen, lifespan, shortens
Share this thread:
DaveC426913
Jul16-10, 05:13 PM
P: 15,319
A brazillion years ago, I was taught not to handle the bulbs used in projectors under the rationale that the oil from your hands ends up on the bulb, causing overheating and shortening the lifespan of the bulb.

I've generalized this to other hot bulbs such as the little 10, 20 and 50W halogens in common use.

It occurs to me that this may not be valid.

Thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
pallidin
Jul16-10, 06:55 PM
P: 2,292
Yes, I've heard this too. I assume, without knowledge, that an oil film on the bulb glass absorbs and retains a great deal of heat; perhaps enough to eventually crack the bulb.
rcgldr
Jul17-10, 07:16 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,108
It's an issue if the oil creates a darker and/or less transparent spot on the lens, which could then cause more heat to be retained.

Antiphon
Jul17-10, 10:34 PM
P: 1,781
Oil shortens lifespan of halogen bulbs?

Projection lamps are high temperature arc lamps made of quartz. Surface contaminants can initiate devitrification of the quartz lamp envelope leading to an explosive lamp failure.

Quartz halogen lamps run cooler but can still be damaged. A typical operating temperature for an arc lamp might be 800 C.
nucleus
Jul18-10, 12:10 PM
P: 171
It is definitely valid. Halogens are used as standard in most Autos’. The auto parts stores tell you not to touch the glass, and will not replace them if you return a few hours later with a bulged out bulb.

However if you do accidentally touch them you can wipe the glass with alcohol and dry. Other people say it is the salt that causes the problem.

For a description see 03) Halogen Technology here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/light...hnologies.html
DaveC426913
Jul18-10, 05:05 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by nucleus View Post
For a description see 03) Halogen Technology here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/light...hnologies.html
I love it. "experiences non-passive failure" instead of "explodes"

Register to reply