Jul18-10, 03:31 PM
P: 256
What's the difference between first and second
order phase transitions. Could anyone give me some simple
examples of both?
Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
Mapes
Jul18-10, 04:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
For homework-type questions, we ask you to show your own reasoning first, then you'll likely get comments on your proposed answers.
paweld
Jul19-10, 02:32 AM
OK, I'm looking for a simple example of second order phase transition.
Is "melting" of glass a good example? First derivatives of Gibbs potential
are continuous but what about higher. Second derivatives need to be
discontinous. Are they?

paweld
Jul19-10, 04:41 AM
1st and 2d order phase transitions

What in case of van der Waals gas. On the p-V-T plot all transitions are continous.
How about entropy?
Mapes
Jul19-10, 01:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
Quote Quote by paweld View Post
OK, I'm looking for a simple example of second order phase transition.
Is "melting" of glass a good example? First derivatives of Gibbs potential
are continuous but what about higher. Second derivatives need to be
discontinous. Are they?
I'm not sure a glass is the best example. Glasses aren't at equilibrium (they would generally crystallize except for kinetic limitations), so some object to applying equilibrium concepts like phase transitions to them.

Keep searching; there are one or two transitions that are always used as examples of second-order transitions.
paweld
Jul19-10, 01:36 PM
Of course there are some examples which are alway used but they are not simple.
I don't have any idea why ferromangetic, superconductor or superfluid phase
transition are second order (how to prove it or at least intuitivly understand?).

How to prove that van der Waals gas transition are first order.
Hypersphere
Jul20-10, 09:26 AM
P: 180
The general idea is to take the first (n-th) derivative of the free energy and to see that it is discontinuous. The van der Waals transition is a bit complicated given its coexistence region though. I'm sure the proof is available in some lecture notes online or you can find the details in some book on statistical mechanics.

The Fossheim, Sudbo book gives a very clear idea in its first chapter on the second order transition for superconductors. Quite generally second order transitions are linked to symmetry changes. It's quite intuitively easy to see one in superconductors when the Cooper pairs form and break. You get a similar phenomenon in ferromagnets where domains of aligned magnetic momenta are formed.
Mute
Jul20-10, 11:00 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
A first order transition (or discontinuous) will give off latent heat during the transition. A second order transition (or continuous transition) will not give off any heat during the transition.

Classification of transitions based on continuity of the derivatives of the free energy is outdated, as it fails to account for cases in which a derivative of the free energy diverges at the transition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-o...lassifications

Register to reply