Register to reply

Statics via Lagrangians

by least_action
Tags: lagrangians, statics
Share this thread:
least_action
Jul22-10, 06:26 AM
P: 22
Is it possible to do statics using lagrangians? (specifically building up a compound shape like a bridge from constrained point masses). Where could I see an example of this?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
fobos3
Jul22-10, 06:47 PM
P: 35
Quote Quote by least_action View Post
Is it possible to do statics using lagrangians? (specifically building up a compound shape like a bridge from constrained point masses). Where could I see an example of this?
Yes, just put the Lagrangian equal to the potential energy. However I think you will find that, if you have an equilibrium the potential energy is at minimum more useful. For example consider the cantenary.

[tex]V=\int_C my\,ds[/tex]

Now if you use Lagrangian mechanics you would be minimising [tex]\iint_C my\,ds\,dt[/tex] instead of [tex]\int_C my\,ds[/tex]
least_action
Jul23-10, 08:46 AM
P: 22
Quote Quote by fobos3 View Post
Yes, just put the Lagrangian equal to the potential energy. However I think you will find that, if you have an equilibrium the potential energy is at minimum more useful. For example consider the cantenary.

[tex]V=\int_C my\,ds[/tex]

Now if you use Lagrangian mechanics you would be minimising [tex]\iint_C my\,ds\,dt[/tex] instead of [tex]\int_C my\,ds[/tex]
Thank you!

Register to reply