Register to reply

Statics via Lagrangians

by least_action
Tags: lagrangians, statics
Share this thread:
least_action
Jul22-10, 06:26 AM
P: 22
Is it possible to do statics using lagrangians? (specifically building up a compound shape like a bridge from constrained point masses). Where could I see an example of this?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
fobos3
Jul22-10, 06:47 PM
P: 35
Quote Quote by least_action View Post
Is it possible to do statics using lagrangians? (specifically building up a compound shape like a bridge from constrained point masses). Where could I see an example of this?
Yes, just put the Lagrangian equal to the potential energy. However I think you will find that, if you have an equilibrium the potential energy is at minimum more useful. For example consider the cantenary.

[tex]V=\int_C my\,ds[/tex]

Now if you use Lagrangian mechanics you would be minimising [tex]\iint_C my\,ds\,dt[/tex] instead of [tex]\int_C my\,ds[/tex]
least_action
Jul23-10, 08:46 AM
P: 22
Quote Quote by fobos3 View Post
Yes, just put the Lagrangian equal to the potential energy. However I think you will find that, if you have an equilibrium the potential energy is at minimum more useful. For example consider the cantenary.

[tex]V=\int_C my\,ds[/tex]

Now if you use Lagrangian mechanics you would be minimising [tex]\iint_C my\,ds\,dt[/tex] instead of [tex]\int_C my\,ds[/tex]
Thank you!

Register to reply