Share this thread:
billiards
Aug12-10, 01:59 PM
P: 748
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive that:

[tex]\left[r\frac{\partial\overline{f}}{\partial r}\right]}^{r=R}_{r=0}=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I have taken the Laplacian [tex]\nabla^{2}f=0[/tex] for a disk in cylindrical co-ordinates and have found that:

[tex]\int^{R}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0} \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right] d\varphi dr=0[/tex]

And the definition of the average of the function around the circle of radius r is provided:

[tex]\overline{f}(r)\equiv\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This ones seems to have me stumped.

I've tried setting

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right] d\varphi = \int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi = 2\pi\overline{f}(r)[/tex]

But that didn't seem to be fruitful.

I've tried expanding

[tex]\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right]d\varphi = \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}d\varphi + r\frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial r^{2}}d\varphi [/tex]

That looks a little bit like a Taylor series but I don't know what to do with it. I've been playing around with the algebra but can't seem to find my break through.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
lanedance
Aug12-10, 06:07 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,307
i think you've pretty much got it, just need to work backwards

so you have
[tex]\overline{f}(r)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0} f(r,\phi)d\phi[/tex]

differentiate that whole expression w.r.t. r, multiply by r then intergate over r from 0 to R and see what you end up with
billiards
Aug16-10, 06:50 PM
Quote Quote by lanedance View Post
i think you've pretty much got it, just need to work backwards

so you have
[tex]\overline{f}(r)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0} f(r,\phi)d\phi[/tex]

differentiate that whole expression w.r.t. r, multiply by r then intergate over r from 0 to R and see what you end up with
Thanks lanedance. That seems like a good approach, the reason I didn't try it was because I'm afraid I don't know how to differentiate the expression w.r.t. r.

Can you offer any assistance please.

lanedance
Aug16-10, 08:17 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,307
Harmonic Function

none of the intergal limits or integrations variables depend on r, so you can directly differentiate under the integral sign
billiards
Aug18-10, 06:01 PM
Thanks lanedance, I didn't know about differentiating under the integral sign, good stuff!

I think I have the answer, would appreciate feedback as this is not 100% comfortable stuff for me.

So far i get:

1) Use the definition of [tex]\overline{f}(r)\equiv\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi[/tex]

to find [tex](r\frac{\partial \overline{f}}{\partial r}) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0} r\frac{\partial f(r,\varphi)}{\partial r} d\varphi[/tex] in terms of [tex]f[/tex]

2) Note that

[tex]\left[r\frac{\partial\overline{f}}{\partial r}\right]}^{r=R}_{r=0}=\int^{R}_{0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r\frac{\partial \overline{f}}{\partial r})dr = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{R}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r\frac{\partial f(r,\varphi)}{\partial r}) d\varphi dr[/tex]

3) Sub in the Laplacian expression [tex]\int^{R}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0} \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right] d\varphi dr=0[/tex]

To find that

[tex]\left[r\frac{\partial\overline{f}}{\partial r}\right]}^{r=R}_{r=0}=0[/tex]

QED?

Register to reply