Register to reply

Finding Instantaneous acceleration from a velocity-time graph

Share this thread:
MitsuShai
Aug31-10, 03:23 PM
P: 161
Graph: http://s324.photobucket.com/albums/k...nt=Capture.jpg
What is the instantaneous acceleration at t2 = 31 s?

I know that the instantaneous acceleration is the slope of the tangent of that point and yes I do know I have to convert it to (m/s^2). But I am still not getting the right answers. Here are a list of answers I imputed and they are all wrong:

on the first few, I forgot to convert. I used 58/31 the last time.....

The question had parts to it, but I don't know if they are necessary to solve this problem...here it is anyways:
A) Compute the average acceleration during the time interval t = 0s to t = 10s. 1.7
B) Compute the average acceleration during the time interval t = 30s to t = 40s. -1.7
C) Compute the average acceleration during the time interval t = 10s to t = 30s. 0
What is the instantaneous acceleration at t1 = 29 s. 0
I already computed this and got them right.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Whitishcube
Aug31-10, 03:35 PM
P: 83
It looks like its either going to be 0 or its going to be at that corner, where the rate of change is not going to be defined.
MitsuShai
Aug31-10, 03:50 PM
Quote Quote by Whitishcube View Post
It looks like its either going to be 0 or its going to be at that corner, where the rate of change is not going to be defined.
I put zero and it was wrong and I don't think undefined is an appropriate answer because 30 is exactly at that corner and it has an acceleration, which I used to solve part B with.

MitsuShai
Sep2-10, 04:58 PM
Finding Instantaneous acceleration from a velocity-time graph

Graph: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k...XE/Capture.jpg
MitsuShai
Sep2-10, 07:42 PM
nevermind I got it now.

Register to reply