Register to reply

Calculating Velocity

by Allura
Tags: velocity
Share this thread:
Allura
Sep4-10, 02:26 PM
P: 23

I've been trying to figure out this problem but for some reason I can't get the right answer. I'm not sure if I'm reading the graph values wrong or if I'm using the wrong formula.

1. A bowler rolls a bowling ball down a lane. A plot of the position versus time graph is shown. What is the velocity (in m/s) of the bowling ball at 3.0 seconds?

2. I thought it would just be the slope, so s = rise/run, so s = 7m/3s or s = 6m/3s

3. I keep getting 2.3 m/s

I know this is an easy question, I just can't get it =( I've tried playing around with the x and y values, I've tried using the book examples, I tried notes examples, I've tried asking my friends who've taken physics before -This problem is driving me insane.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
mplayer
Sep4-10, 03:18 PM
P: 154
Your approach seems correct, I think that maybe the values you are reading off the graph are a bit inaccurate. The value you have for time, t=3s, is good, since that is given, but I would say that the distance the ball has traveled at t=3s is closer to 7.5m or 8m rather than the 7m that you used in your calculation. Hope this helps.
Allura
Sep4-10, 03:24 PM
P: 23
It was 7.5, thanks!

Register to reply