Calculating Velocity of Bowling Ball at 3.0s

• Thread starter Allura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the velocity of a bowling ball at a specific time based on a given position versus time graph. The person asking the question has tried different methods and asked for help, but is having trouble finding the right answer. Another person suggests that the values on the graph may be slightly inaccurate and provides a corrected value for the distance the ball has traveled at the given time.
Allura
[PLAIN]http://lc.cit.jmu.edu/cgi-bin/plot.png?file=safavifn_jmu_1283628193_8083304_plot.data
I've been trying to figure out this problem but for some reason I can't get the right answer. I'm not sure if I'm reading the graph values wrong or if I'm using the wrong formula.

1. A bowler rolls a bowling ball down a lane. A plot of the position versus time graph is shown. What is the velocity (in m/s) of the bowling ball at 3.0 seconds?

2. I thought it would just be the slope, so s = rise/run, so s = 7m/3s or s = 6m/3s

3. I keep getting 2.3 m/s

I know this is an easy question, I just can't get it =( I've tried playing around with the x and y values, I've tried using the book examples, I tried notes examples, I've tried asking my friends who've taken physics before -This problem is driving me insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach seems correct, I think that maybe the values you are reading off the graph are a bit inaccurate. The value you have for time, t=3s, is good, since that is given, but I would say that the distance the ball has traveled at t=3s is closer to 7.5m or 8m rather than the 7m that you used in your calculation. Hope this helps.

It was 7.5, thanks!

What is the formula for calculating velocity of a bowling ball at 3.0 seconds?

The formula for calculating velocity is: velocity = distance/time. In this case, distance would be the distance the bowling ball has traveled, and time would be 3.0 seconds.

How do I measure the distance the bowling ball has traveled?

You can measure the distance the bowling ball has traveled by using a measuring tape or ruler. Place one end at the starting point and measure the distance the ball has traveled at 3.0 seconds.

Can I calculate the velocity at any point during the bowling ball's motion?

Yes, you can calculate the velocity at any point during the bowling ball's motion as long as you know the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

What units should I use for the velocity calculation?

The units for velocity are typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s), but you can also use other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

Why is it important to calculate the velocity of a bowling ball at 3.0 seconds?

Calculating the velocity at a specific time, such as 3.0 seconds, can help you understand the speed and acceleration of the bowling ball. This information can be useful in determining the best technique for bowling or predicting the ball's trajectory and impact.