Register to reply

Calculating Velocity

by Allura
Tags: velocity
Share this thread:
Allura
Sep4-10, 02:26 PM
P: 23

I've been trying to figure out this problem but for some reason I can't get the right answer. I'm not sure if I'm reading the graph values wrong or if I'm using the wrong formula.

1. A bowler rolls a bowling ball down a lane. A plot of the position versus time graph is shown. What is the velocity (in m/s) of the bowling ball at 3.0 seconds?

2. I thought it would just be the slope, so s = rise/run, so s = 7m/3s or s = 6m/3s

3. I keep getting 2.3 m/s

I know this is an easy question, I just can't get it =( I've tried playing around with the x and y values, I've tried using the book examples, I tried notes examples, I've tried asking my friends who've taken physics before -This problem is driving me insane.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
mplayer
Sep4-10, 03:18 PM
P: 154
Your approach seems correct, I think that maybe the values you are reading off the graph are a bit inaccurate. The value you have for time, t=3s, is good, since that is given, but I would say that the distance the ball has traveled at t=3s is closer to 7.5m or 8m rather than the 7m that you used in your calculation. Hope this helps.
Allura
Sep4-10, 03:24 PM
P: 23
It was 7.5, thanks!

Register to reply