Register to reply

Wave equation solution

by mahdert
Tags: equation, solution, wave
Share this thread:
mahdert
Sep6-10, 05:23 PM
P: 15
In deriving the governing equation for a vibrating string, there are several assumptions that are made. One of the assumptions that I had a hard time understanding was the following.

Once the string is split into n particles, the force of tension on each particle from the particles in the right and the left is assumed to be proportional to the ratio of the vertical displacement to the horizontal displacement.

Could you please explain to me how this assumption is correct. What are the reasons behind it. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Doc Al
Sep6-10, 05:48 PM
Mentor
P: 41,477
Quote Quote by mahdert View Post
Once the string is split into n particles, the force of tension on each particle from the particles in the right and the left is assumed to be proportional to the ratio of the vertical displacement to the horizontal displacement.
Generally, one assumes that the tension is constant throughout the string. You need the transverse component of the tension--which is the restoring force tending to pull the string back to its equilibrium position. At any point, the string makes some angle θ. The transverse component of the tension = T sinθ, which for small angles ≈ T tanθ = T Δy/Δx.

(One should derive this, as above, not just assume it.)
mahdert
Sep6-10, 06:10 PM
I see. I can only suppose that this follows the assumption that the string is of uniform density. What if this is not the case? How would one proceed.

Doc Al
Sep6-10, 06:12 PM
Mentor
P: 41,477
Wave equation solution

I don't think the string density would affect the assumption of uniform tension.
mahdert
Sep6-10, 06:13 PM
So what is the justification for assuming uniform tension across the string.
Dr Lots-o'watts
Sep6-10, 07:04 PM
P: 674
You could assume otherwise, but why? If uniformity gives simple solutions that match reality, isn't all you need? It's a hypothesis that works out to be correct, an example of successful science.

Assuming non-uniform tension would be the next step, in the case that the solutions didn't match reality. It would also complicate the math tremendously. First in that you would have to make another guess as how the tension behaves (which function T(x) ?).

Register to reply