Synthesis of metal oxalate complexes

In summary, the target molecule is K3[Mn(C2O4)3]x3H20 and the procedure is Dissovle 11.8g of oxalic acid dihydrate (H2C2O4x2H20) in water. Add potassium permaganate (KMn04). Once addition is complete add K2CO3. Prepare ice-NaCl bath and cool reaction mixture in it. I am having trouble trying to figure out what the exact reaction equations are that I have to balance. I am guessing that one is MnO4^1- +H2C2O4----> Mn(C2O
gravenewworld
I need help trying to come up with chemical reactions for the lab I am doing.
The target molecule is K3[Mn(C2O4)3]x3H20

The procedure is Dissovle 11.8g of oxalic acid dihydrate (H2C2O4x2H20) in water. Add potassium permaganate (KMn04). Once addition is complete add K2CO3. Prepare ice-NaCl bath and cool reaction mixture in it.

I am having trouble trying to figure out what the exact reaction equations are that I have to balance. I am guessing that one is
MnO4^1- +H2C2O4----> Mn(C2O4)3 ^3- +CO2
K^+1 +Mn(C2O4)3 ^3- ----> K3[Mn(C2O4)3]

Can anyone help?

Likes rodrigo moran
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Does it say what mass of KMnO4 to add ? That would make things a lot easier.

I guess I should write out the entire procedure.

Dissolve 11.8 g of oxalic acid dihydrate in 75 mL of deionied water in a 250 mL beaker and heat to 70-75. Grind 2.3 g of potassium permanganate to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle. Add this powder in small amounts with viorous stirring to the hot oxalic acid soln. Once the addition is complete, the mixture should be a milky suspension. Add 2.6 g potassium carbonate in small amounts with stirring. Prepare an ice-NaCl bath and cool the rxn mixture in it.

From this point the rxn mixture should be protected from light as much as possible. Wrap all glass ware that will be used with tin foil. Grind another .6 g of potassium permanganate and add it slowly with stirring to the cold Mn-oxalate soln. Keep the soln in the ice-salt bath and continue stirring for 10 min. Quickly filter the dark red soln using a funnel and a foil-wrapped, ice-cooled filter flask to capture the filtrate. Discard solid. Transfer the filtrate to a foil wrapped and ice cooled beaker and add 95% ethanol to the filtrate slowly with vigorous stirring until the solid is evident. ALlow the mixture to stand for 10 min. Collect the violet crystals by buchner filtration using a fresh piece of filter paper. Was the product with 2 10mL portions of fifty percent cold ethanol, two 10mL portions of cold 95% ethanol and one portion of acetone. Air dry product on watch glass in the dark for at least 15 min. Transfer to vial Record weight.

Hello,

As I'm a metal-organic chemist, I think I've understood the whole process.

First, potassium permanganate reacts in an acidic medium (oxalic acid) with another target molecule of oxalic acid to give manganese(II)oxalate and some CO2.

Potassium carbonate is needed to drive the reaction to the completion.

There is a much higher amount of oxalate to form a trioxalatomanganate(II) complex; potassium ions are used to provide charge neutralization.

About the equations, use redox chemistry first:

Mn7+ + 5e- ---> Mn2+
5C3+ ---> 5C4+ + 5e-
----------------------
2MnO4- + 16H+ + 10e- ---> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O
5C2O42- ---> 10CO2 + 10e-

So, the first reaction involving the redox process is as follows:

2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ---> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O

Now that all permanganate is converted into manganese(II)oxalate with the help of excess oxalic acid, now we can think about the complexation:

MnC2O4 + 2K2C2O4 ---> K4[Mn(C2O4)3]

However, I don't think that manganese(II) ions are oxidized to manganese(III); but it may happen since oxalate chelates manganese(II) and the reaction may still have permanganate. I may discuss this redox chemistry later.

Regards
chem_tr

Likes rodrigo moran

1. What is the purpose of synthesizing metal oxalate complexes?

The purpose of synthesizing metal oxalate complexes is to study the chemical and physical properties of these compounds. These complexes have a wide range of applications in various fields such as catalysis, materials science, and medicine.

2. What is the general reaction for synthesizing metal oxalate complexes?

The general reaction for synthesizing metal oxalate complexes involves the reaction of a metal salt with oxalic acid or its derivatives. This reaction leads to the formation of a coordination complex between the metal ion and the oxalate ligand.

3. How do you determine the purity of a metal oxalate complex?

The purity of a metal oxalate complex can be determined through various analytical techniques such as melting point analysis, elemental analysis, and spectroscopic methods. These techniques can help identify any impurities in the complex and determine its composition.

4. What factors can influence the synthesis of metal oxalate complexes?

Several factors can influence the synthesis of metal oxalate complexes, including the choice of metal salt and oxalic acid, reaction conditions such as temperature and pH, and the presence of other reactants or solvents. These factors can affect the yield, purity, and properties of the resulting complex.

5. What are some potential uses of metal oxalate complexes in industry?

Metal oxalate complexes have a wide range of potential uses in industry, including as catalysts in chemical reactions, as precursors for the synthesis of metal oxide nanoparticles, and as additives in the production of ceramics and other materials. They also have potential applications in the fields of energy storage and biomedicine.