Register to reply

Chemical or Mechanical Engineering?

by zorro
Tags: chemical, engineering, mechanical
Share this thread:
zorro
Sep28-10, 05:10 AM
P: 1,394
I had interest in Chemical Engineering since 9th grade. But now when I'm in 12th, Mechanical engineering gained my interest. When I looked at the subjects taught in these branches, some were out of my interest. Now every other branch (aerospace, material science etc) I see, I don't like all subjects in it. What do I do?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
AlexES16
Sep28-10, 07:33 PM
P: 193
Quote Quote by Abdul Quadeer View Post
I had interest in Chemical Engineering since 9th grade. But now when I'm in 12th, Mechanical engineering gained my interest. When I looked at the subjects taught in these branches, some were out of my interest. Now every other branch (aerospace, material science etc) I see, I don't like all subjects in it. What do I do?
I am in a dilema like that.

Between Physics and Chemistry

If i choose Physics i will go for Electrical Engineering or Physics

If i choose Chemistry ill go for Chemistry and specially Physical Chemistry
rhombusjr
Sep29-10, 12:50 AM
P: 97
I would try to pick a college where you can put off declaring a major (or at least an engineering specialty) until the end of your freshman/beginning of sophomore year. That way you will have a chance to actually interact with people (students, professors, professionals) in ChemE and MechE and form a better opinion on which one you like more.

flemmyd
Sep29-10, 10:17 PM
P: 144
Chemical or Mechanical Engineering?

part of the problem is you really cant say what you like/don't (or even what's useful....) until you actually go through it.

I was in a similar position when i was picking my major. I don't know how useful this will be for you, but here's what went through my mind:

major in a science, physics or chemistry most likely. the problem with majoring in engineering is the high number of courses. at my school, a mechanical engr major requires about 37 classes. the physics major requires about 25. (and thats counting the electives you take for the physics major)

by majoring in a science, you get a very foundational education. if you really want to learn something, spend your electives on whatever engr classes you're interested in (so you could take classes on fluid mech or whatever...).

you can spend those electives specializing. or simply go to graduate school in whatever graduate school that you end up being interested in.

hope this helps.
Ryker
Sep29-10, 11:25 PM
P: 1,088
Quote Quote by flemmyd View Post
the problem with majoring in engineering is the high number of courses. at my school, a mechanical engr major requires about 37 classes. the physics major requires about 25. (and thats counting the electives you take for the physics major)
Why does that matter? Back home medicine (it's an undergrad program) students had only a couple of exams their first year, whereas some random social science students had 10 - 15. Does that make the latter studies harder? No, they had a couple of weeks' worth, if that, of studying to pass them all with the highest marks, and for med students that was barely enough time to cover one exam.
flemmyd
Sep30-10, 02:11 AM
P: 144
Quote Quote by Ryker View Post
Why does that matter? Back home medicine (it's an undergrad program) students had only a couple of exams their first year, whereas some random social science students had 10 - 15. Does that make the latter studies harder? No, they had a couple of weeks' worth, if that, of studying to pass them all with the highest marks, and for med students that was barely enough time to cover one exam.
I wasn't making a point about what was harder.

Let me elaborate. Engineering (again at my school) has 37 classes. about 33ish of them are required classes. 3 of them are electives (within the major). Physics only required 25ish classes, 6 of which are electives within the major. so if you major in physics and took the same number of classes, you could spend those 10 (maybe 15 if you count the physics electives) taking whatever topics ended up catching your interest.

So major in physics and if fluid mechanics (in the ME depart) caught your interest, take that class. if semiconductor physics (in the EE) was really interesting, take that as your electives. or maybe you want to work in business/finance. spend those electives in econ/management classes or something.

On the other hand, if you major in engr you will have to take all the required classes. which may or may not be interesting to you.

And I'm talking about a US school. I'm not familiar with foreign schools.

At the OP: what exactly do you find interesting/not interesting in the various engr fields?

Register to reply