Chemical vs Mechanical Engineering

In summary: MechE would be better for you if you want to work on energy materials for electrolysis of water, photovoltaics, and batteries.
David Matthews
I am a high school senior caught between these two fields. they both seem very exciting and I am not sure which would be better suited for my interests. In high school, my favorite subjects have been Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I am interested in working to develop:

-more efficient solar panels
-energy dense, environmentally-friendly batteries
-viability of nuclear fusion as an energy source
-sustainable, longer lasting materials

Which field is better for these interests?

I like the fact the Chemical Engineering degree includes a more diverse array of courses including fluid mech, chemistry, and mass transfer. On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering seems to offer a more diverse array of job opportunities. ChemE jobs seems to be constrained to the pharmaceutical, chemical, oil&gas, and biotech industries.

I am not sure how much weightage I should give to this however. I have heard that engineers in the industry typically perform calculations to achieve business projects but don't work in actually developing new technology. I have also heard that the R&D researchers who are involved in developing new technology are seen as expendable and first-to-go in most industries. If that is case, then perhaps academia might be better for my interests and the job opportunities factor should not matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is considerable overlap between the two areas. Courses in fluid mechanics, chemistry, heat and mass transfer will be a part of both curricula. You are largely correct about the ChemE being limited to pharma, chemical, oil & gas, and biotech.

When a company is in financial difficulties, any and all employees are expendable. Academia is no safe haven, however, because you will be largely constrained to work on the projects for which you can obtain funding. The almighty $$$ governs everywhere!

But which field is better for my interests mentioned above?

At the school I'm going to ChemE requires 21 credit hours of chemistry coursework while MechE only requires 3 (which I've already completed through my AP credits).

Which is better for you, David, is something that only you can decide. No one else can tell you the answer to that question.

Likes russ_watters
ME is broader field of study, provides a very good foundation for launching into very diverse areas. ChemE...a narrower focus. My experience is that ChemE is in high demand (& high salary) because the curriculum is very rigorous. Only the strong survive.

You are largely correct about the ChemE being limited to pharma, chemical, oil & gas, and biotech.

Ummmm...well...Consider this. My last salaried job was working for a R&D division of a large chemical/plastics company. The purpose of the R&D was to develop the technology necessary to put polycarbonate windows on automobiles instead of glass windows. We were neck deep in ChemE's. Their job was to develop coatings on the PC, then also develop industrial processing methods to 6σ quality levels in order to scale up to mass production. Interesting work: process development, quality engineering, testing, documentation, producing customer prototypes, and patent applications. Was a bit of a challenge for me as an ME to try to explain tooling / mechanical / machinery issues to ChemE's. These topics just weren't part of their knowledge, but it was part of mine. Fun times. We both learned a lot from each other.

Dr.D said:
Which is better for you, David, is something that only you can decide. No one else can tell you the answer to that question.

I mean which major: MechE or ChemE would better set me up to work in these fields:

David Matthews said:
I am interested in working to develop:

-more efficient solar panels
-energy dense, environmentally-friendly batteries
-viability of nuclear fusion as an energy source
-sustainable, longer lasting materials

I had similar interests and I decided MechE for the career breadth. I'm pretty sure MechE's can work in fusion and longer-lasting materials. Not sure about the more efficient solar panels and energy dense batteries part. I think that may be more of ChemE thing but I don't know of any jobs in the industry where ChemEs work on batteries/solar panels. That's most done on the research side.

tygerdawg said:
The purpose of the R&D was to develop the technology necessary to put polycarbonate windows on automobiles instead of glass windows.

Which engineers were in charge of designing the polycarbonate windows?

Which engineers were in charge of designing the polycarbonate windows?

ChemE + ME: both engaged with process development activities.
The mechanical design of the windows themselves: this was done by customer engineers. We received the CAD models of the parts and had to produce prototypes. The assumption is that customer MEs created the CAD model design.

So I'm pretty much decided that I want to work on energy materials for electrolysis of water, photovoltaics, and batteries. It seems that ChemE research more relevant but when looking at jobs in the industry, MechE jobs seem to be more relevant. The only ChemE jobs I could find were in pharma, plastics, and oil. So what should I give more precedence to?

1. What is the main difference between chemical and mechanical engineering?

Chemical engineering focuses on the design and operation of processes that involve the transformation of materials, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design and operation of machines and mechanical systems.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both chemical and mechanical engineering have strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the industry and location. Chemical engineers may find more opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals and energy, while mechanical engineers may have more opportunities in industries such as manufacturing and aerospace.

3. Can someone with a chemical engineering degree work as a mechanical engineer or vice versa?

Technically, yes. However, there may be a learning curve and additional training required to work in a field outside of one's degree. It is recommended to pursue internships or courses in the desired field to gain relevant experience and skills.

4. What are the key skills required for each field?

Chemical engineers need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as knowledge of chemistry and other sciences. Mechanical engineers need strong technical and mathematical skills, as well as the ability to design and troubleshoot mechanical systems.

5. Which field has a higher salary?

Salaries for both chemical and mechanical engineers can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. In general, chemical engineers tend to have slightly higher salaries, but it ultimately depends on individual circumstances.