by GingerBread27
Tags: calculusvolume, cross, product, tetrahedron
GingerBread27
Sep15-04, 08:09 PM
P: 109
Determine whether the points A = (1, 2, 3), B = (1, 1, 1), C = (1, 0, 2), and
D = (2,-2, 0) are coplanar and find the volume of the tetrahedron with vertices
ABCD.

My professor did this problem in class as a review for an upcoming test and he didn't get the answer that was on the key. He just chuckled and went on but I would like to know how to really do this problem.

The answer should be 5/6 and the points are not coplanar. My teacher got the answer of 3. He did the cross product of a and b times c. He got the cross product of a and b to be -3 and multiplying -3 by c resulted in -3. He used the volume of a tetrahedron to be (1/6)ha, h being C and area being a cross b.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
HallsofIvy
Sep15-04, 09:32 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,894
Draw a picture! The area of a parallelgram is "base times height". If you know the lengths of two connected sides, say x and y, and the angle. θ, between them, then the height (measured perpendicular to the base) is y sin(θ). The base is x so the area is xy sin(θ).

One way of defining the cross product of two vectors, u and v, is that it is the vector with length |u||v|sin(θ) (theta is the angle between the two vectors).

If one side of a parallelogram is the vector u and the other is v, then the length of the sides are |u| and |v| so that the area is |u||v|sin(&theta), exactly the same as the cross product: the area of a parallelogram whose sides are the vectors u and v is exactly the cross product of u and v.
ehild
Sep16-04, 07:16 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,834
Quote Quote by GingerBread27
Determine whether the points A = (1, 2, 3), B = (1, 1, 1), C = (1, 0, 2), and
D = (2,-2, 0) are coplanar and find the volume of the tetrahedron with vertices
ABCD.

My professor did this problem in class as a review for an upcoming test and he didn't get the answer that was on the key. He just chuckled and went on but I would like to know how to really do this problem.

The answer should be 5/6 and the points are not coplanar. My teacher got the answer of 3. He did the cross product of a and b times c. He got the cross product of a and b to be -3 and multiplying -3 by c resulted in -3. He used the volume of a tetrahedron to be (1/6)ha, h being C and area being a cross b.
Have you learnt about scalar triple product? it is
a.[bxc] You can look after at Mathworld, for example.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ScalarTripleProduct.html

You can calculate the volume of a parallelepiped defined by the three vectors a, b, c. This product is the same as the absolute value of a determinant D, built up from the components of the vectors :

| ax ay az |
| bx by bz |
| cx cy cz |

D = ax by cz + ay bz cx + az bx cy - az by cx - ay bz cx - ax bz cy .

Now, the edges od the tetrahedron are not the original vectors
A, B, C, D , but the differences, for example with respect to B.

a = A-B = (0, 1, 2)

c = C-B = (0, -1, 1)

d = D-B = (1, -3, -1)

If these three vectors are coplanar the points A, B, C, D are in the same plane.
In this case the volume of the corresponding parallelepiped is zero.
So we calculate the determinant.

| 0 +1 +2 |
| 0 -1 +1 | = 0 +1 + 0 + 2 +0 + 0 = 3
| 1 -3 -1 |

The volume of the parallelepiped is 3. The volume of the corresponding tetrahedron is one sixth of this value, that is 3/6=1/2.
As I understood you, this is the same what your teacher got.
That key might be wrong...

ehild

Register to reply