Calculating the time to cross a river

In summary, Mitch's reasoning for the answer to part b of the question was incorrect. He used the N-S component of the velocity as the distance, when in fact the gradient of the line is a(a-x)/a^2.
gnits
Homework Statement
To calculate time to cross a river
Relevant Equations
d = st
Could I please ask for help on the last part of this question:

river.JPG

So, part b, I get the right time but not the right distance.

Book answers are: distance = 1/6 and time = a/V.

Here's my (faulty?) reasoning (LaTeX isn't working for me):

The boat is steered due east and so would have a velocity of V east and 0 north but for the current of speed u = x(a-x)V / a^2 which will push it north, so velocity vector of boat is:

V i + ( x(a-x)V/a^2 ) j

Therefore the position vector of the boat at time t will be:

V t i + ( x(a-x)V t /a^2 ) j - Call this "Equation 1"

We can see that the j component is equal to x(a-x)/a^2 times the i component and so the gradient of this line is a(a-x)/a^2 as required.

So boat will have crossed river when Vt = a and so t = a/V as required.

Finally, to calculate the distance AC, I put this time into the y component of Equation 1 and this gives me y = x(a-x) / a

Not 1 / 6.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
The N-S component of the velocity is variable. You have to integrate to get the distance, surely?

gnits said:
(faulty?) reasoning
faulty indeed. You can check yourself that this does not satisfy the given equation.

Cause: there is no motion with constant acceleration in the y direction. The river doesn't 'push' with a constant force !

You will have to solve that differential equation to obtain he given answer, which should not be ##1/6## but something with the dimension of length.

gnits said:
LaTeX isn't working for me
That is strange. For most others it works just fine. Do you enclose things in ## for in-line math and in $$ for displayed math ?
e.g. $$ \vec v = V \left ( {\bf\hat\imath } + {x(a-x)\over a^2 } {\bf\hat\jmath } \right ) $$ gives
$$ \vec v = V \left ( {\bf\hat\imath } + {x(a-x)\over a^2 } {\bf\hat\jmath } \right ) $$ (which is correct).

Your equation 1 is wrong. The i-component is correct but the j-component is wrong. To find the j-component correctly you have to integrate the velocity ##u##, first replace ##x=Vt## in the expression of ##u## and then integrate with respect to the time ##t##.

EDIT:I edited this post, integration with respect to x was a bad idea.
EDIT2: Well because there is linear relationship between x and t it turns out that the integral $$\int_0^a\frac{x(a-x)}{a^2}dx=\int_0^{\frac{a}{V}}\frac{Vt(a-Vt)}{a^2}Vdt=AC$$

Last edited:
Thanks all for your help. I see my error now. Thanks very much for the quick help.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes to cross a river?

The time it takes to cross a river can be calculated by dividing the distance of the river by the speed of the current. This will give you the time it takes to cross the river with the current alone. Then, you can add the time it takes to cross the river against the current by using the same formula but with the speed of the current subtracted from the speed of the boat.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the time to cross a river?

The factors that should be considered when calculating the time to cross a river include the distance of the river, the speed of the current, the speed of the boat, and any other obstacles or challenges that may affect the crossing.

3. How does the width of the river impact the time it takes to cross?

The width of the river can impact the time it takes to cross as it will affect the distance that needs to be covered. A wider river will take longer to cross compared to a narrower river, assuming all other factors remain constant.

4. Can the time to cross a river be calculated for different types of boats?

Yes, the time to cross a river can be calculated for different types of boats. However, the speed of the boat will need to be adjusted accordingly in the formula used to calculate the time. A faster boat will take less time to cross compared to a slower boat.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the time to cross a river?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the time to cross a river, such as using a stopwatch or timing the crossing multiple times and taking an average. However, using the formula mentioned in the first question is a more accurate and efficient method.