Fresnel power Coefficients

by Gogsey
Tags: coefficients, fresnel, power
Share this thread:
Gogsey
Oct4-10, 08:36 PM
P: 160
Hi,

I'm doing a question using the Fresnel power coefficients, not the Fresnel amplitude coefficients. We can use matlab for this, but we are given a fixed angle of incidence of 45 deg so its really just one calculation, as opposed to an earlier question where the angle varied between 0 and 90 deg. We are given the refractive indices.

But what are these equations, lol. We're supposed to look them up but I can't find them.

The earlier question talked about the Fresnel amplitude coefficients, and this current question tells us to use the Fresnel power coefficients so I assume they are different.

Thanks a lot

Liam
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
hikaru1221
Oct5-10, 05:01 AM
P: 799
I've never heard of Fresnel power coefficient, but I guess it's similar to reflection coefficient. Then if you can calculate the relation between amplitudes, since power ~ intensity ~ amplitude^2, you can calculate the coefficient, right?
Gogsey
Oct5-10, 08:26 PM
P: 160
Hi Thanks,

yeah all we had to do was square the Fresnel amplitude reflection coefficient to get the power reflection coefficient and use 1-R2 to get the Fresnel power transmission coefficient.

Register to reply