Not a homwork problem, Fresnel Equations

In summary, the critical angle can be derived using the Fresnel Equations of reflection, but it is necessary to use Snell's law to compute the critical angle. It is also important to note that at the critical angle, the transmitted angle does not exist. Additionally, to get Latex, you need to put "##" on both sides of the expression.
Alvis

Homework Statement

I was just curious, I know you can derive the critical angle using Snell's law..but could you use it using the Fresnel Equations of reflection, both of them?

Homework Equations

|r|=1 internal reflection of light
r(tm)=(n1cos(theta-i)-n2cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-i)+n2cos(theta-t))
r(te)=(n2cos(theta-t)-n1cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-t)+n2cos(theta-i))
I'm putting theta-t and theta-i to denote incident angle and transmittance angle

supposed to arrive at crit angle=arcsin(n2/n1)

The Attempt at a Solution

r(te)=
[(n2cos(theta-t)-n1cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-t)+n2cos(theta-i))]^2=1r(tm)=
[(n1cos(theta-i)-n2cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-i)+n2cos(theta-t))]^2=1

Physics news on Phys.org
## R=1 ## at the critical angle because ## cos(\theta_t) =0 ## since ## \theta_t=90 \, degrees ##. I think it is necessary to use Snell's law to compute the critical angle ## \theta_i=\theta_c ##. For ## \theta_i ## greater than the critical angle, ## \theta_t ## does not exist. ## \\ ## Note: In your very first equation of part 3, I think the first "theta-t" should be a "theta-i". ## \\ ## Additional note: To get Latex, you need to put " ## " on both sides of the expression.

Last edited:

What are the Fresnel Equations?

The Fresnel Equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe how light is reflected and transmitted when it encounters a boundary between two different media, such as air and glass. They were developed by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century.

What is the significance of the Fresnel Equations?

The Fresnel Equations are critical for understanding how light behaves at the interface of two media, and are used in a wide range of applications, including optics, engineering, and materials science. They also provide a deeper understanding of the nature of light and its interactions with matter.

How do the Fresnel Equations work?

The equations take into account the refractive index and polarization of light, as well as the angles of incidence and reflection, to determine the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at a boundary between two media. They can be derived from Maxwell's equations and the boundary conditions for electromagnetic waves.

What are the two types of Fresnel Equations?

The two types of Fresnel Equations are the Fresnel Reflection Equations and the Fresnel Transmission Equations. The reflection equations describe how much light is reflected at the boundary, while the transmission equations describe how much light is transmitted through the boundary.

Are the Fresnel Equations applicable to all types of light?

Yes, the Fresnel Equations are applicable to all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet light. They can also be extended to describe the behavior of other types of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and microwaves.