Register to reply

Quantum physics and technology

by snackster17
Tags: physics, quantum, technology
Share this thread:
snackster17
Oct8-10, 02:49 PM
P: 27
Hi, i have learned some basic principles of quantum physics and and know that quantum physics has led to improvements in computers and technology. But can someone please explain to me the details on how quantum theory has improved chip size or gave way to ipods, Im i even right? did quantum theory lead to these new electronics? thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
DrChinese
Oct8-10, 03:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,299
Quote Quote by snackster17 View Post
Hi, i have learned some basic principles of quantum physics and and know that quantum physics has led to improvements in computers and technology. But can someone please explain to me the details on how quantum theory has improved chip size or gave way to ipods, Im i even right? did quantum theory lead to these new electronics? thank you
Quantum theory goes back to 1927, so most everything after that is dependent on it in some way. Examples would be solid state electronics, including semiconductors, and a significant amount of modern chemistry. So really it is just a matter of how you want to attribute it.
unusualname
Oct8-10, 05:35 PM
P: 661
The quantum phenomenon of Giant Magnetoresistance has had pretty spectacular application to hard disk technology:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...bel-Prize.html

Quantum entanglement techniques can be used to reduce chip size. (edit: or maybe not http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25336/)

Register to reply