Frequency of Greatest Integer quotients

by jleach
Tags: frequency, greatest, integer, quotients
jleach
Oct29-10, 02:57 PM
P: 17
When looking for potential factors of an integer, I noticed that I could predict the frequency of the greatest integer function quotient and use this prediction to jump to the next potential factor. See the attachment for an example. I don't know if someone else had already discovered this, but I thought that it was cool.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Factoring Method.doc (46.0 KB, 7 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
hamster143
Oct29-10, 03:26 PM
P: 986
The problem with the algorithm is that N/H-N/(H+1) will always evaluate to 1 for k<sqrt(N), so it will make you inspect all potential factors up to sqrt(N). Which are all the potential factors you need to inspect anyway.
jleach
Oct29-10, 05:59 PM
You have a point. I think that it's still an interesting observation, but let me think on it and I may be able to find a modification that will improve the method.

jleach
Oct29-10, 06:36 PM

Frequency of Greatest Integer quotients

Thanks for making me take another look, because I can already see something else that is interesting. If I look at the spacing between actual factors found by my method, there seems to be a symmetry. If this is real, then it could be useful.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Potential factors revisited.xls (40.5 KB, 8 views)
jleach
Nov1-10, 07:17 PM
Nothing comes to me yet. I'll just put it in my back pocket and maybe I'll find a use for it someday. Sorry, I was more interested in just sharing my observation than looking at how it could be applied, so I didn't catch that it didn't save any work in finding factors.

Finding the factors between two numbers is a real problem that I sometimes have to deal with, so if anyone knows a good algorithm, let me know.

As for as the frequency of greatest integer quotients and the way that it pulls in all of the factors so that they are symmetrically spaced, I still think that it's interesting.

Register to reply