Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function?

It could be called "modular absolute value" or "modular distance" but I'm not sure.In summary, the conversation discusses a function, mav(a,n), that calculates the Euclidean distance from a given integer, a, to the nearest multiple of another integer, n. The function is calculated using the modulus operator and can be implemented in programming languages. The speaker mentions that they may be forgetting a standardized name or notation for this function. They also mention the possibility of an easier way to compute it.
The Bill
TL;DR Summary
Is there a common name and notation for the function which takes in integers a and n, computes b= mod n, and outputs the lesser of b or n-b?
I've defined this function to clean up some pages of work I've been doing on relations of integers modulo n. Let's call it mav(a,n) for now. mav(a,n) for integers a and n is equal to the Euclidean distance from a to the nearest multiple of n.

To compute it in programming languages I've been just making a function that takes in integers a and n, computes b= mod n, and outputs the lesser of b or n-b.

I feel like I might be forgetting something from undergrad. I feel like this function may already have a standardized name and notation I'm just forgetting. It acts like "an absolute value in the integers modulo n," but whenever I search for that or notation which might look like that, I get results for n-adic and p-adic integers and analysis instead.

I also feel like there may be an easier functional method of computing it than I wrote in the second paragraph above.

Any thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of something specific for that.

Likes The Bill

1. What is the purpose of the "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function?"

The "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" is a mathematical function used to calculate the distance between a given number and the nearest multiple of a specified number (n). It is commonly used in various fields of science, such as statistics, physics, and computer science.

2. How is the "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" calculated?

The "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" is calculated by first dividing the given number by the specified number (n). The remainder of this division is then used to determine the distance to the nearest multiple. If the remainder is less than or equal to half of n, the distance is equal to the remainder. If the remainder is greater than half of n, the distance is equal to n minus the remainder.

3. What is the difference between the "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" and the "Name of distance to closest multiple of n function"?

The "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" calculates the distance to the nearest multiple of n, while the "Name of distance to closest multiple of n function" calculates the distance to the closest multiple of n. The difference lies in how the remainder is handled in the calculation. The "nearest" function uses the remainder to determine the distance, while the "closest" function uses the remainder to determine the closest multiple.

4. Can the "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" be used for non-integer values?

Yes, the "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" can be used for non-integer values. The function can be applied to any real number, as long as the specified number (n) is also a real number.

5. In what situations would the "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" be useful?

The "Name of distance to nearest multiple of n function" can be useful in various situations, such as calculating the error or deviation from a target value, determining the optimal spacing or placement of objects, and in data analysis and processing. It can also be used in algorithms and programming to optimize efficiency and accuracy.