Volume element as n-form

by LAHLH
Tags: element, nform, volume
Share this thread:
LAHLH
Nov11-10, 12:14 PM
P: 411
Hi,

I'm reading Sean Carroll's text, ch2, and believe I understood most of the discussion on Integration in section 2.10. However in equation 2.96, he states that

[tex] \epsilon\equiv\epsilon_{\mu_1\mu_2...\mu_n}dx^{\mu_1}\otimes dx^{\mu_2}\otimes...\otimes dx^{\mu_n} =\frac{1}{n!}\epsilon_{\mu_1\mu_2...\mu_n}}dx^{\mu_1}\wedge dx^{\mu_2}\wedge...\wedge dx^{\mu_n}[/tex]

I don't quite understand this equality. For example just taking n=2, the LHS is [tex] dx^0\otimes dx^1-dx^1\otimes dx^0[/tex] (which isn't zero because tensor products don't commute). Where on the RHS one would have [tex] \frac{1}{2}\left(dx^0\wedge dx^1-dx^1\wedge dx^0\right)=dx^0\wedge dx^1[/tex], by the antisymmetry of the wedge product.

So I'm at a loss to understand this part of 2.96 despite understand the following lines.

Thanks alot for any replies.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
arkajad
Nov12-10, 02:32 AM
P: 1,411
Formula (1.81) in Carroll's "Lecture Notes on General Relativity" (1997) tells you:

[tex]A\wedge B=A\otimes B-B\otimes A[/tex]

So, what is it that causes you the problem?
LAHLH
Nov12-10, 06:12 AM
P: 411
Oh I was unaware of this formula.

Do you mean (1.80) in this edition of Carroll? namely [tex] (A\wedge B)_{\mu\nu}=A_{\mu}B_{\nu}-A_{\nu}B_{\mu}[/tex]

Which I guess can be written [tex] (A\wedge B)_{\mu\nu} =(A\otimes B)_{\mu\nu}-(B\otimes A)_{\mu\nu}[/tex], leading to the equation you stated: [tex] (A\wedge B) =(A\otimes B)-(B\otimes A)[/tex]

arkajad
Nov12-10, 06:21 AM
P: 1,411
Volume element as n-form

Yes - that is another way of writing it.

Register to reply