Register to reply

Good at Math but bad at Chem?

Share this thread:
andyroo
Nov11-10, 04:06 PM
P: 34
I decided to take Chemistry this term to see if I liked it or not. I thought it might not be too bad since I'm a math major (taking multi-var. calc right now) and am generally pretty good with problems involving calculation and formulas. However, whenever I have a midterm in chem, I always seem to miss something in the problem and miss the question entirely since they're always multiple choice. I do well in math midterms and finals because, even though I make stupid mistakes, I get to show all my work, thus showing that I understand the process(es). I can't seem to get around this barrier on my chem midterms because of this (multiple-choice) problem. I feel like I understand the subject on at least a B level too. Does anyone have any suggestions so that I might do better on my chemistry midterms? Thank you!

-Andy
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
fasterthanjoao
Nov11-10, 05:25 PM
P: 731
If you're having problems because it's a different way of testing than you're used to: practice. Develop your own method for studying each multiple choice question. Assess the answers, use scrap paper to write down your thoughts on each one if it will help.

The couple of times I took a multiple choice exam I used to write down the first things that popped into my head when I read a question. I would then evaluate each answer, picking the one I felt to be correct. I would then sit this answer to the side, and try to find a way that any of the other options could possibly be correct.

If you understand the material but are just finding that you make mistakes in the exam then you just need to develop your method, practice, practice, practice. You don't get to show working in multiple choice exams, but then no-one else does either.

Register to reply