Chemistry or physics - which one is more suitable for self-studying?

SvenFromSkyrim
First of all, I realised that asking this on physics forum might give me answers different than I'd get in chemistry message board, or more "neutral" general science forums for that matter, but this site seems to be particularly helpful and active at the same time, so I'll take my chances.

In your opinion which one should be better for adult self-learner - physics or chemistry? My goal is to hone my problem-solving skills - I code daily and do logic/math problems (found a great book about discrete mathematics!) but I always wanted to also posess some scientific knowledge, if that makes sense. Self-learning is just something I'm interested in, the idea of just gaining some scientific knowledge in my home, on my terms, with no rush and thus stress-free, seems very appealing to me. And since science is obviously very problem-solving oriented, it's like killing two birds with one stone and it fits right into my daily math/coding regime.

I actually found some introductory chemistry textbook aimed for self-learners and it's super fun so far, but I'm wondering whether physics might not be even a better option - since I'm self-studying and theoretically oriented, I wonder to what extent such an empirical domain as chemistry might be "translatable" to my learning at home experience. Whereas in physics, I think there is pretty clear-cut divide between experimental and theoretical physics (I'd be interested in the second one), so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

I'd love to hear other fellow learners take on it. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a happy physics self-learner. You can safely guess what my opinion is.

Likes SvenFromSkyrim
I'd like to bring the following points to your attention (speaking from my own experience on the matter):

1. Successful self-study mostly depends on the textbook(s) used.
2. Physics study is much more demanding in math than chemistry is.
3. Chemistry deals with everyday life cases more than physics does.
4. Modern, and most interesting, trend today? Biochemistry.
5. Self-study requires self-discipline and resilience. It is more a matter of character than intelligence.

Likes DeBangis21, WWGD, Math100 and 2 others
First, thank you for your answer. Yes, I keep hearing that chemistry is less demanding than physics in terms of mathematics and that's actually a bummer for me, because like I said I'd like to hone my problem-solving skills - so the more demanding math, the better (like I said already I also am self-learning mathematics daily).

I absolutely agree about books selection being essential - and thankfully, both math and chemistry textbooks I have chosen are providing an excellent resource and they basically let you start from the ground up - no previous knowledge needed (except basic algebra).

I also have noticed that chemistry seems to be in more demand than physics nowadays, chemistry seems to have much larger use in the industry. Also, I noticed that generally, from the academic standpoint, there are many more articles published in chemistry than in physics nowadays. I even encountered such opinions as "Physics was the science of 20th century, but 21st century belongs to..." and the answer varies, people bring up biology, chemistry and computer science, but no physics. But all of that of course seems to be beside the point - after all, I'm preparing for self-study, not academic career (as attractive of a prospect as it is).

So I guess based on the answers so far, physics might be the better choice. Although as it's probably evident here, I do have soft spot for chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes apostolosdt
Just going by title and not yet read the first post nor any responses from it, I say "NEITHER". You need good textbook, lecture time, and laboratory exercises. You go no-where without laboratory!

Now it's time (for me) to read the posts and see what I missed.

Likes WWGD
SvenFromSkyrim said:
In your opinion which one should be better for adult self-learner - physics or chemistry? My goal is to hone my problem-solving skills - I code daily and do logic/math problems (found a great book about discrete mathematics!) b
If that is what you ask, I say Physics! You will have plenty of exercises which use plenty of Mathematics for problem-solving.

If you really want to hone your Math, drop by our PF Math section, MathStack Exchange or Math Overflow. It'll take a while into your studies of Physics or Chemistry until you reach the level of some of the Math questions asked.

WWGD said:
It'll take a while into your studies of Physics or Chemistry until you reach the level of some of the Math questions asked.
Sure, but like I mentioned, I also wanted to gain scientific knowledge. Being involved in highly abstract, formal systems is undeniably fun, but I'd also like to get to know the inner workings of the world PLUS having these challenging puzzles to solve to hone my skills (which my study of mathematics is slowly, but surely doing).

Likes WWGD
SvenFromSkyrim said:
First, thank you for your answer. Yes, I keep hearing that chemistry is less demanding than physics in terms of mathematics and that's actually a bummer for me, because like I said I'd like to hone my problem-solving skills - so the more demanding math, the better (like I said already I also am self-learning mathematics daily).

I absolutely agree about books selection being essential - and thankfully, both math and chemistry textbooks I have chosen are providing an excellent resource and they basically let you start from the ground up - no previous knowledge needed (except basic algebra).

I also have noticed that chemistry seems to be in more demand than physics nowadays, chemistry seems to have much larger use in the industry. Also, I noticed that generally, from the academic standpoint, there are many more articles published in chemistry than in physics nowadays. I even encountered such opinions as "Physics was the science of 20th century, but 21st century belongs to..." and the answer varies, people bring up biology, chemistry and computer science, but no physics. But all of that of course seems to be beside the point - after all, I'm preparing for self-study, not academic career (as attractive of a prospect as it is).

So I guess based on the answers so far, physics might be the better choice. Although as it's probably evident here, I do have soft spot for chemistry.
If you want a challenging book, try Oxtoby and Gilli's, or Atkins' Chemical Principles, or Zumdahl's Chemical Principles (not his Chemistry)

SvenFromSkyrim said:
I also have noticed that chemistry seems to be in more demand than physics nowadays, chemistry seems to have much larger use in the industry. Also, I noticed that generally, from the academic standpoint, there are many more articles published in chemistry than in physics nowadays. I even encountered such opinions as "Physics was the science of 20th century, but 21st century belongs to..." and the answer varies, people bring up biology, chemistry and computer science, but no physics.
My 2¢ on this: it is highly unlikely that you will ever get through all of "20th century physics" to today's cutting edge.

EDIT: I don't say that in a bad way, there's no insult there.

gmax137 said:
it is highly unlikely that you will ever get through all of "20th century physics" to today's cutting edge.
Likely true, but one can say the same about 20th century chemistry. In 1899 we didn't have electrons (really), electron orbitals (at all), chemical bonds, pH and pH indicators, dozens of chemical elements (not just artificial ones - radon, rhenium, europium), noble gas compounds...

Likes gmax137
Maybe you can tell us more of what you think is superfun about chemistry. Chemistry is a pretty broad area. For example, some textbooks start with naming compounds, and substances, and acids etc. If you like to memorize structures that make up acids, or radicals, sulfates vs sulfites etc, or if you like solving what potentials give you what voltage in a battery, etc, you will probably be better sticking with chemisty.
However, suppose in studying chemistry so far, you are looking at the hydrogen atom, or atoms in general, electrons protons, neutrons, etc, perhaps, spectroscopy, then you might try studying physics to see if that is fun. However, freshman physics can be very different from freshman chemistry. You may not like, incline plane problems, trajectory kinematics, which is pretty far from the inside of atoms.
Chemistry students get quantum mechanics earlier in their curriculum,but do not get in as deep in general.
If you have been studying chemistry for a season (3 months), try studying physics for say 6 weeks, to see if you like it.

In general, chemistry needs more memorization than physics does. Physics uses mathematics more. I take issue with advice, that you need to find the best textbook. I find many self-study students search for the "perfect" textbook, and never get around to studying any textbook. Do not let the best be the enemy of the good. Oxtoby, Gillies, or the older George Mahan, Pauling, or Sienko and Plane are all good textbooks. You do not seeem to have this problem though, you already are found one that is superfun

mpresic3 said:
Maybe you can tell us more of what you think is superfun about chemistry. Chemistry is a pretty broad area. For example, some textbooks start with naming compounds, and substances, and acids etc. If you like to memorize structures that make up acids, or radicals, sulfates vs sulfites etc, or if you like solving what potentials give you what voltage in a battery, etc, you will probably be better sticking with chemisty.
However, suppose in studying chemistry so far, you are looking at the hydrogen atom, or atoms in general, electrons protons, neutrons, etc, perhaps, spectroscopy, then you might try studying physics to see if that is fun. However, freshman physics can be very different from freshman chemistry. You may not like, incline plane problems, trajectory kinematics, which is pretty far from the inside of atoms.
Chemistry students get quantum mechanics earlier in their curriculum,but do not get in as deep in general.
If you have been studying chemistry for a season (3 months), try studying physics for say 6 weeks, to see if you like it.

In general, chemistry needs more memorization than physics does. Physics uses mathematics more. I take issue with advice, that you need to find the best textbook. I find many self-study students search for the "perfect" textbook, and never get around to studying any textbook. Do not let the best be the enemy of the good. Oxtoby, Gillies, or the older George Mahan, Pauling, or Sienko and Plane are all good textbooks. You do not seeem to have this problem though, you already are found one that is superfun
Maybe he likes pretty broads ;).

mpresic3 said:
[...] In general, chemistry needs more memorization than physics does. Physics uses mathematics more. I take issue with advice, that you need to find the best textbook. I find many self-study students search for the "perfect" textbook, and never get around to studying any textbook. Do not let the best be the enemy of the good. Oxtoby, Gillies, or the older George Mahan, Pauling, or Sienko and Plane are all good textbooks. You do not seeem to have this problem though, you already are found one that is superfun
Well, I wish I had while a physics freshman a review supplement like the "Programmed Reviews for Chemical Principles" by Lassila et. al., 1970, published by W. A. Benjamin, Inc.

The only parts of chemistry that you can safely self-teach and realistically/legally apply are in the theoretical realm. So physics is your best bet.

1. What is the main difference between chemistry and physics?

Chemistry is the study of matter and its properties, composition, and reactions, while physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions.

2. Which subject is more suitable for self-studying?

Both chemistry and physics are suitable for self-studying, but it ultimately depends on the individual's interests and learning style. Some may find chemistry more accessible as it deals with everyday materials, while others may prefer the mathematical and theoretical nature of physics.

3. Do I need a strong math background to study chemistry or physics?

A basic understanding of math is necessary for both subjects, but the level of math required varies. Chemistry uses mostly algebra and some basic calculus, while physics involves more advanced math concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

4. Can I study both chemistry and physics simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study both subjects at the same time. However, it may be more challenging to balance the workload and understand the concepts as they can be quite different from each other.

5. Are there any online resources available for self-studying chemistry and physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-studying both chemistry and physics. These include textbooks, lecture videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems. It is essential to use reputable sources and supplement them with practice and experimentation to fully grasp the concepts.