Stoichiometry ,gas problem

In summary, the experiment involves reacting sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking soda) with excess acetic acid (vinegar) to produce sodium acetate, water, and carbon dioxide gas. The gas produced is collected in a balloon and its weight is measured, along with the weight of the balloon and string. Using this data, the mass of carbon dioxide produced and the percent error can be predicted. The balanced reaction is CH3COOH + NaHCO3 → CH3COONa + H2O + CO2, with the limiting reactant being sodium bicarbonate. The amount of gas in the balloon can be determined by subtracting the weight of the balloon and string from the total weight of the balloon, string, and gas.
Big V
the question is:
Sodium Hydrogen carbonate (baking soda) is reacted with excess acetic acid (vinegar) with a concentration of 0.500mol/L in an Erlenmeyer flsk. The proucts are sodium acetate, water and carbon dioxide gas. The gas produced is collected in a balloon attached to the flask, tied off with a string and then weighed. Using the information from the data below, predict the mas of carbon dioxide produced and the percent error in the experiment.

other data given :
Mass of... balloon (g) 13.5
string (g) 1.2
balloon, string, gas (g) 16.5
solute (g) 5.0

the part i don't get is which number do i use to find moles so that later i can use those moles to find the mass . like is the mass of solute (5.0) , the mass of sodium hydrogen carbonate.
please help sorry if I'm confussing

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Determine these two pieces of information first:

Write the balanced reaction.
Compute how much gas is in the baloon.

You said that the acetic acid is in excess, so the limiting reactant must be the sodium bicarbonate.

balanced reaction :
(this is how i would set up my data)
CH3COOH + NaHCO3 → CH3COONa + H2O + CO2
C= 0.500mol/l________________________ m=?

Gas in Balloon:
16.5-1.2=15.3
-13.5= 1.8
gas =1.8g

What is the definition of stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between the reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves calculating the amount of each substance needed for a reaction, as well as predicting the amount of product that will be formed.

How do you solve gas stoichiometry problems?

To solve gas stoichiometry problems, you first need to balance the chemical equation for the reaction. Then, you can use the coefficients in the balanced equation to convert between moles of reactants and products. Finally, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the volume, pressure, or temperature of a gas involved in the reaction.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in stoichiometry?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. In stoichiometry, it is commonly used to calculate the number of moles of a gas, which is then used to determine the quantities of other substances involved in the reaction.

What are the units used in gas stoichiometry problems?

The units used in gas stoichiometry problems depend on the specific quantities being calculated. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm) or kilopascals (kPa), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and amount in moles (mol).

How can I check my gas stoichiometry calculations?

You can check your gas stoichiometry calculations by making sure that the units are consistent throughout the problem and by double-checking your calculations. You can also use the law of conservation of mass to ensure that the total mass of the reactants equals the total mass of the products.