Calculating Thrust and Work for a Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket

In summary, a high school teacher is assigning a project for students to design a rocket powered by the chemical reaction between acetic acid and baking soda. The teacher has provided calculations using the ideal gas law equation to determine the pressure produced by the reaction. The students will be using a 2-L soda bottle as their rocket and the teacher wants them to calculate the thrust and work done by the gas. The simplest equation for thrust is ##F=\frac{dm}{dt}v \approx \rho A v^2## where A is the area of the nozzle, rho is the density, and v is the velocity. However, using gas as a reaction mass can lead to inefficiencies and compression must be considered for a better analysis.
alchemistf9
I am a high school teacher attempting to give my students a project for designing a rocket powered by the chemical reaction between acetic acid and baking soda to produce CO2 gas.

I have done some simple calculations based on stoichiometric amounts of vinegar and acetic to produce a stoichiometric amount of CO2. I then have taken the moles of gas produced and solved for the pressure produced using the ideal gas law equation.

The calculations are attached in the Excel file.

Now I come to the troubling part. The students will be using a 2-L soda bottle as their rocket.

As the physics part of the project I would like to the students to calculate many things:

Fthrust and work done by the gas.

What are the simplest equations to use to calculate Fthrust and Work ?

I've attempted to make several equations which give me some very non-sensible results.

Attachments

• Rocket Experiment Calculations.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you plan to use some reaction mass, like water? A direct CO2 exhaust is quite inefficient. There are several threads about rockets in the forums (at least one of them is in the "Similar Threads" list below).

I think the products, sodium acetate and water, or simply sodium acetate solution can act as the reaction mass right?

I'm not sure if that is a good idea...

The reaction mass is the whole thing yes.

I just need a simple equation for the force of Thrust

##F=\frac{dm}{dt}v \approx \rho A v^2## where A is the area of the nozzle, rho is the density and v is the velocity there. Neglecting compression and inefficiencies, ##\rho v^2 = 2 \Delta p## with the pressure difference inside/outside. For gas as reaction mass (bad), compression is relevant, of course, so it might need a better analysis.

1. What is a High School Rocket Project?

A High School Rocket Project is an educational activity where high school students learn about rocket science and engineering by designing, building, and launching their own rockets.

2. What are the benefits of participating in a High School Rocket Project?

Participating in a High School Rocket Project can provide students with hands-on experience in STEM subjects, teamwork and problem-solving skills, as well as a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work.

3. What safety measures are in place for High School Rocket Projects?

Safety is a top priority for High School Rocket Projects. Students are taught proper handling and storage of rocket materials, and launch sites are chosen carefully to ensure the safety of participants and the surrounding area.

4. How much does it cost to participate in a High School Rocket Project?

The cost of participating in a High School Rocket Project can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the materials used. However, many schools and organizations offer grants and funding opportunities to help cover the costs for students.

5. What skills do students learn through a High School Rocket Project?

Students can learn a variety of skills through a High School Rocket Project, including scientific and mathematical concepts, engineering principles, critical thinking, and communication. They also have the opportunity to develop leadership and teamwork skills while working on their project with their peers.