4th order polynomials

by rlspin
Tags: order, polynomials
Share this thread:
rlspin
Nov28-10, 07:44 AM
P: 6
Hey everyone

Im doing control engineering and was wondering what methods i could use to find the roots of a 4th order polynomial?

For example:

(x^4) + (8x^3) + (7x^2) + 6x = 5

Could I seperate that into two brackets of quadratics or will i need to use a really long winded method?

Thanks in advance for any help
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Outlined
Nov28-10, 10:38 AM
P: 124
'order'? You mean 'degree'! Well yes there is a solution for it but it is indeed long winded. You can try to find easy solutions by try. Else use Maple or Matlab.
Gib Z
Nov28-10, 11:23 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,352
A formula exists for 4 degree polynomials analogously to the quadratic formula, but it is very long and complicated and coding it into a program would take too much time. Just numerically approximate all the roots.

rlspin
Nov28-10, 11:46 AM
P: 6
4th order polynomials

Sorry, i do mean degree! Slipped up cos im working with a 4th order system.
I was worried id have to do it the long way.
I did use Matlab but wanted to see if I could work out the answer by hand.
Anywat, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it!
abypatel
Jan30-12, 03:05 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by rlspin View Post
Hey everyone

Im doing control engineering and was wondering what methods i could use to find the roots of a 4th order polynomial?

For example:

(x^4) + (8x^3) + (7x^2) + 6x = 5

Could I seperate that into two brackets of quadratics or will i need to use a really long winded method?

Thanks in advance for any help
also check this website

http://xrjunque.nom.es/precis/rootfinder.aspx

Register to reply