Solution?: Quintic Equation from Physical System

In summary: Of course, the questioner may not be familiar with the notation and meaning of this solution, so it is not "explicit" in that sense.
danielFiuza
First time in this forum, so greetings to everyone!

I am currently working with some physical models in the field of natural ventilation and I came across the following 5th order polynomial equation (quintic function):

$X^{5}+ C X - C =0$

This is the steady state solution of a physical system of coupled ODEs. And I am interested in finding a explicit relationship for X = f(), (the roots in terms of C), possibly analytically. The values of X (that makes physical sense) needs to be real and between 0 and 1. Additionally, C is a constant (a time scale of my system), which need to be larger or equal than 0 (and to infinity).

I can plot this equation numerically, but I was wondering if I can obtain a explicit/analytical solution of this equation for C>=0 and X[0 1]. I have been reading a little bit about quintic functions, and how some of them can be solved (this one seems to be in a similar way as Quintics in Bring–Jerrard form).

If anyone could give me some insight about this equations or if it is possible an explicit solution for the root with the constrains C>=0 and X[0 1], I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

EDIT: improved explanation of one line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it might be possible to solve quintic equations using things like elliptic functions, but I expect it would be a ton of work, would not provide any extra insight, and at the end of the day would probably require at least as much computation as just solving the problem numerically to begin with.

Before jumping to numerics, we can learn a little about the real roots with very little work. Since the ##C=0## case is trivial, I will assume ##C>0##. From Descarte's rule of signs there is only 1 real positive root. If we let ##p(x) = x^5 + C x - C##, then it is clear that ##p(0) = -C## and ##p(1) = 1##, and since ##p## is continuous this tells us the real root is always between 0 and 1. So your constraint always holds.

Newton's method should converge pretty quickly as long as your initial guess is reasonable. For ##C<<1## we expect the root to be small, so ##p(x) \approx x^5 - C## and the root is approximately ##C^{1/5}##. For ##C>>1## we have ##p(x) \approx C x - C## and the root is approximately ##1##. So for an initial guess for Newton's method I would try ##x_0 = C^{1/5}/(1 + C^{1/5})##. I suggest you use Newton's method (or any other root-finding method) to find the root for values of ##C## that span the domain you care about and plot the curve. I suspect it is pretty well behaved.

jason

Likes danielFiuza and berkeman
danielFiuza said:
$$X^{5}+ C X - C =0$$

Latex needs a double $ sign.

fresh_42 said:
I don't think there is an analytic formula, especially with a unknown value of ##c##.
Here are some results from WolframAlpha for it: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^5+cx-c=0

Why would you not consider the Mathematica solution:

HypergeometricPFQ[{1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5}, {1/2, 3/4, 5/4}, -3125/(256 c)]

to be an "analytic" solution.

Likes jasonRF

1. What is a quintic equation?

A quintic equation is a polynomial equation with a degree of 5, meaning the highest exponent in the equation is 5. It can be written in the form of ax^5 + bx^4 + cx^3 + dx^2 + ex + f = 0, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are coefficients and x is the variable.

2. How is a quintic equation derived from a physical system?

A quintic equation can be derived from a physical system by modeling the system using mathematical equations and then solving for the unknown variables. This can involve using laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to describe the behavior of the system.

3. Why is solving a quintic equation important in science?

Solving a quintic equation allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is also important for developing new technologies and advancements in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

4. Can a quintic equation always be solved?

No, not all quintic equations can be solved using algebraic methods. This is known as the Abel-Ruffini theorem and states that there is no general formula for solving quintic equations. However, there are numerical methods and approximations that can be used to find solutions.

5. Are there real-world applications of quintic equations?

Yes, quintic equations have many real-world applications, such as in modeling the motion of particles, designing aircraft wings, and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions. They are also used in various engineering and scientific fields to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.