Pressurizer Problem

by ganondorf29
Tags: pressurizer
Share this thread:
ganondorf29
Nov30-10, 11:49 PM
P: 53
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A pressurizer is designed to accommodate an outsurge of 30,800 lbm and an insurge of 20900 lbm. The mass of the water necessary to cover the electric heaters is 4020 lbm. The system's operating pressure is 2250 psia. The hot leg is 600F and and the cold leg is 550F (For the hot and cold leg use properties for a compressed liquid). (Cold leg spray / Hot leg surge) = 0.03

Find the initial volume of the pressurizer that is saturated vapor

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f = Cold leg spray / Hot leg surge = 0.03

Mass of gas (int) = msurge(1+f)(specific vol of fluid) / (spec vol of fluid - spec vol of gas)

vol of initial gas = mass of initial gas * spec vol of gas

I'm not sure how to find msurge and the 2 specific volumes...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
drbubbles
Dec1-10, 05:22 PM
P: 1
I think that the msurge is the msurge for the insurge, 20900 lbm. We used that equation for Mass of gas (int) for the insurge case in my class anyway.

Additionally the specific volumes are the specific volumes at saturated conditions with a pressure of 2250 psia I think. The inside of a pressurizer contains both liquid and vapor so it should be under saturated conditions. So you could just look up the specific volumes in a steam chart under the listing for 2250 psia for saturated vapor.

Register to reply