Share this thread:
jbar18
Dec6-10, 11:56 AM
P: 53
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The equation:

x^3 + ax + b = 0

has 3 roots, u, p and q.

Give the general solution for for an equation with roots (u/p)+(p/u), (p/q)+(q/p) and (u/q)+(q/u)

2. Relevant equations

u + p + q = 0

upq = -b

up + uq + pq = a

If you can solve it you probably already knew those.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I've just done lots of fiddling with algebra and got a pretty nasty looking solution, and I'm not even sure if it's right. What I was trying to do was express one of the new roots in terms of a, b and u, and then plug back in to the original equation for the new equation. I've got a pretty rough looking solution but I wanted to see if anyone could find a elegant way of solving this or if it is just lots of scruffy algebra. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
rock.freak667
Dec6-10, 12:08 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
You'll need to expand out

[x-((u/p)+(p/u))][x-((p/q)+(q/p))][x-((u/q)+(q/u))]=0

and then use the conditions given in your relevant equations. I don't think there is a simpler way.

EDIT: I think you can say in general you will have Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0

with the roots required, the sum will be -B/A and then you can just simplify the sum of the roots and get B/A and so on.
jbar18
Dec6-10, 12:09 PM
Quote Quote by rock.freak667 View Post
You'll need to expand out

[x-((u/p)+(p/u))][x-((p/q)+(q/p))][x-((u/q)+(q/u))]=0

and then use the conditions given in your relevant equations. I don't think there is a simpler way.
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, thanks. I guess it is just an ugly problem.

rock.freak667
Dec6-10, 12:10 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
Cubic Roots

Quote Quote by jbar18 View Post
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, thanks. I guess it is just an ugly problem.
Re-read my edit and see if that will help, I did not check to see if it will but it should work the same way.
jbar18
Dec7-10, 01:48 PM
Quote Quote by rock.freak667 View Post

EDIT: I think you can say in general you will have Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0

with the roots required, the sum will be -B/A and then you can just simplify the sum of the roots and get B/A and so on.
Yeah this was the first method I tried. Unfortunately I got stuck with the algebra and couldn't simplify it down any further, it was a very long horrid fraction. It's fine really though, doing the question wasn't really my interest, I just wanted to know if there was a shortcut through this problem really. Now it seems apparent that this question is just hard for the sake of being hard.

Register to reply