Questions of Quadratic Equations and thier Roots

In summary, the author is telling the reader that they can eliminate the equation x2-ax-21=0 by factoring it and then replacing α with x1. They will then be able to solve the equation for x1.
Mr.maniac

Homework Statement

1)The value of k, so that the equations 2x2+kx-5=0
and x2-3x-4=0 have one root in common
2)The value of m for which one of the roots of x2 is double of one of roots of x2-x+m=0
3)If x2-ax-21=0 and x2-3ax+35 have a root in commom

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the roots as p q r s
by the relations between co efficients and roots i got
1) p+q= -k/2
pq= -5/2
p+r=3
pr= -4
2)similar to q1
p+q=3
pq=2m
2p+r=1
2pr=m
3)again similar to q1
p+q=a
pq=-21
p+r=3a
pr=35

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
after that i got stuck...

could someon give me general instructions about these kind of questions?

For some reason, this thread was marked "Solved," but it doesn't appear to me that it actually is solved.
Mr.maniac said:

Homework Statement

1)The value of k, so that the equations 2x2+kx-5=0
and x2-3x-4=0 have one root in common
2)The value of m for which one of the roots of x2 is double of one of roots of x2-x+m=0
What do you mean by "roots of x2"? The equation ##x^2 = 0## has only 0 as a root.
Mr.maniac said:
3)If x2-ax-21=0 and x2-3ax+35 have a root in commom

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the roots as p q r s
?
A quadratic equation has at most two real roots. What do your variables p, q, r, and s represent?
Mr.maniac said:
by the relations between co efficients and roots i got
1) p+q= -k/2
pq= -5/2
p+r=3
pr= -4
The question asks for k.
I solved this one by factoring the second equation, ##x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0##.
Mr.maniac said:
2)similar to q1
p+q=3
pq=2m
2p+r=1
2pr=m
I don't understand the question. Possibly you have a typo in it.
Mr.maniac said:
3)again similar to q1
p+q=a
pq=-21
p+r=3a
pr=35
The only possible roots of the first equation are -3 and 7 or 3 and -7. What are the only possible pairs of roots in the second equation?

Likes Skins
Mr.maniac said:
could someon give me general instructions about these kind of questions?

The general method is just algebraic elimination, of which you have certainly already met other examples in other simultaneous equations.

It is not necessary, but at this stage may be helpful in overcoming the mental blockage* that is preventing you seeing how easy and natural it is to proceed, if you call the particular value of x that makes a couple of equations both true another name - you could call it x1 or you could call it α.

Thus you are being told that there exists a number, α for which both
2 +kα-5=0 and α2-3α-4=0

You can surely from these two get a new equation in which α2 is eliminated and is still true. After which you should be able to go on eliminating until you get an equation in which α does not appear at all.

(There does exist a general expression in their coefficients, called the 'Eliminant' of two polynomials which vanishes when they have a common root or factor, which is 4x4 determinant for two quadratics. But this is just a convenient formulation of the algebraic eliminations you would do anyway. To show things, even things you know, are connected up, the discriminant of a quadratic is just the eliminant of the quadratic and it's derivative.)

(* there is a possible mental blockage of continuing to think of x as 'a Variable', something that could be just anything, Whereas the problem itself has restricted it to something definite even if not yet known. When you're more used to it you can kick away that prop. :oldsmile:)

Last edited:
Likes Skins

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it has at least one squared term. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method used depends on the form of the equation and personal preference.

3. What are the roots of a quadratic equation?

The roots of a quadratic equation are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0. They can be found by solving the equation or by using the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a.

4. How do you determine the number of roots of a quadratic equation?

The number of roots of a quadratic equation can be determined by looking at the discriminant, b^2-4ac. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct real roots. If it is zero, there is one real root. And if it is negative, there are no real roots (but there may be two complex roots).

5. How are quadratic equations used in real life?

Quadratic equations have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the shape of a parabolic dish, or the profit of a business over time.