Reverse Induction for Proving Negative nth Derivatives of x*e^(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of reverse induction to prove the nth derivative of x*e^(x) and extending it to negative derivatives (i.e. integrals). The possibility of using a base case of n=0 and showing that if it holds for -n, then it holds for -n-1 is also mentioned. There is some uncertainty about the correct approach.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Say I had a problem like this:

Prove that the nth derivative of x*e^(x) is (x+n)*e^(x) for all integer n.

Can I use reverse induction to prove for negative n? For example...

Say I proved it for my base case, n=0. In this case, the proof is trivial.

Then I prove that if the nth derivative is (x+n)e^(x), then the (n+1)th derivative is (x+n+1)e^(x). (I didn't provide the proof because there's a similar homework problem here, and the proof is easy anyway.

Can I then use reverse induction to prove that if the nth derivative is (x+n)e^(x), then the (n-1)th derivative is (x+n-1)e^(x), thus extending this case to negative derivatives (i.e., integrals)?

Am I even making sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'm not sure if this is correct. You do have to use reverse induction though. But isn't it easier to show "if it holds for -n, then it holds for -n-1". Or is this what you meant?

micromass said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if this is correct. You do have to use reverse induction though. But isn't it easier to show "if it holds for -n, then it holds for -n-1". Or is this what you meant?

Well, that would probably work too. EDIT: Since my base case is n=0, I don't see much of a difference.

1. What is reverse induction?

Reverse induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about a set or sequence of numbers. It involves starting with the highest possible value and using logical reasoning to show that the statement is true for all values in the set or sequence.

2. How does reverse induction work?

To use reverse induction, you start by assuming that the statement is true for the highest possible value in the set or sequence. Then, you use logical reasoning to show that if the statement is true for a given value, it must also be true for the previous value. This process is repeated until you reach the lowest possible value, thus proving that the statement is true for all values.

3. What is the purpose of using reverse induction?

Reverse induction is commonly used in mathematical proofs to show that a statement is true for all values in a set or sequence. It is particularly useful for proving statements about negative nth derivatives, as it allows us to work backwards from a known value to prove the statement for all values.

4. How is reverse induction used to prove negative nth derivatives of x*e^(x)?

To prove the negative nth derivatives of x*e^(x), we start with the highest possible value for the nth derivative (usually 0 or 1) and use reverse induction to show that the statement is true for all values of n. This involves proving that if the statement is true for a given value of n, it must also be true for n-1. This process is repeated until we reach the base case of n=0, thus proving the statement for all negative values of n.

5. Are there any limitations to using reverse induction for proving negative nth derivatives of x*e^(x)?

While reverse induction is a powerful proof technique, it may not always be the most efficient or straightforward method for proving negative nth derivatives of x*e^(x). In some cases, there may be alternative proof techniques that are more suitable or easier to use. Additionally, reverse induction may not work for more complex statements or equations, so it is important to consider the specific problem at hand before deciding to use this method.