Register to reply

Alcohol tolerance, evolution

by Balloono
Tags: alcohol, evolution
Share this thread:
Balloono
Dec14-10, 01:20 PM
P: 4
As different individuals and races are very different comparing this trait, alcohol tolerance has/is probably under heavy genetic selection. As there isn't much alcohol outside human society, i wonder whether people craved alcohol by accident already before it became abundant or did that trait also become more prominent after alcoholic inventions. If the first one is true then possibly people less affected by alcohol gave more children but the whole group became vulnerable compared to sober human populations. If the latter is true then it was beneficial being able to consume alcohol and doing a lot of it. As i understand light alcohol (5%) does in fact hydrate you? and is less prone to becoming poisonous in other ways? Also why alcohol tolerance became strongest in Europe, Mediterranean? More suitable climate and more extensive trade relationships?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Rising temperatures can be hard on dogs
It takes two to court: Researchers identify functions of two classes of mouse pheromone receptors
Underground amphibians evolved unique ear
NobodySpecial
Dec14-10, 02:25 PM
P: 474
Quote Quote by Balloono View Post
Also why alcohol tolerance became strongest in Europe, Mediterranean? More suitable climate and more extensive trade relationships?
Because everybody who drank the water instead of beer died of dysentry/cholera/typhoid/the dreaded lurg

If tea had been around in europe then people might have drunk tea instead like most east-asians
Vagn
Dec14-10, 02:29 PM
P: 292
Quote Quote by Balloono View Post
As different individuals and races are very different comparing this trait, alcohol tolerance has/is probably under heavy genetic selection. As there isn't much alcohol outside human society, i wonder whether people craved alcohol by accident already before it became abundant or did that trait also become more prominent after alcoholic inventions. If the first one is true then possibly people less affected by alcohol gave more children but the whole group became vulnerable compared to sober human populations. If the latter is true then it was beneficial being able to consume alcohol and doing a lot of it. As i understand light alcohol (5%) does in fact hydrate you? and is less prone to becoming poisonous in other ways? Also why alcohol tolerance became strongest in Europe, Mediterranean? More suitable climate and more extensive trade relationships?
If I remember correctly in Medieval Europe alcohol was consumed quite frequently as it was safer to drink than the water in most places, whether this would be large enough effect to cause a selection pressure for Europeans to have a higher alcohol tolerance or not I don't know, I'll have a look for some papers on it. Obviously this tolerance would then be passed onto Americans, Australians etc. who were descended from European colonists.

NobodySpecial
Dec14-10, 10:09 PM
P: 474
Alcohol tolerance, evolution

Quote Quote by Vagn View Post
If I remember correctly in Medieval Europe alcohol was consumed quite frequently as it was safer to drink than the water in most places,
It was the only safe drink in europe from the Romans to the start of 20C

whether this would be large enough effect to cause a selection pressure for Europeans to have a higher alcohol tolerance or not I don't know,
Dying has quite a strong selection pressure - lookup Alcohol dehydrogenase

Register to reply