Register to reply

Modulating a Laser

by Bill E
Tags: laser, modulating
Share this thread:
Bill E
Dec17-10, 10:37 PM
P: 5
Hello, I am interested in modulating a laser beam with a radio frequency. Can I input the signal to the laser, or do I need to modify the beam with something like a heterodyne interferometer. If both approaches would work, would the resulting beam be the same?

Thanks, Bill
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Claude Bile
Dec20-10, 12:06 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,477
It depends on your laser system and how much bandwidth is available to your switching mechanism. An Electro-optic or Acousto-optic switch should have sufficient bandwidth to modulate the laser output at radio frequencies.

Claude.
Andy Resnick
May19-11, 01:24 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,523
Quote Quote by Bill E View Post
Hello, I am interested in modulating a laser beam with a radio frequency. Can I input the signal to the laser, or do I need to modify the beam with something like a heterodyne interferometer. If both approaches would work, would the resulting beam be the same?

Thanks, Bill
What are you modulating- the amplitude, the frequency, the polarization....?

Register to reply