Cauchy Riemann Equations (basic doubt)

In summary, for a function of a complex variable z, f(z), to be differentiable at a point z0, the CR equations are necessary but not sufficient conditions. An example of this is the function g(x,y)=1 if xy is not 0, 0 if xy=0 and f(z)=g(x,y)(1+i)=g(x,y)+ig(x,y), where z=x+iy. The Riemann-Cauchy equations are satisfied at (0,0) but the function is not continuous there, showing that the CR equations alone are not enough to determine differentiability. This resolves the doubt about whether the CR equations are sufficient tests.
ask_LXXXVI
Lets say we have a function of a complex variable z , f(z).

I read that for the function to be differentiable at a point z0 , the CR equations are a necessary condition but not a sufficient condition.

Can someone give me an example where the CR equations hold but the function is not differentiable at that point , thus justifying that the CR equations holding true aren't sufficient test.

I am unable to visualise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let g(x, y)= 1 if xy is not 0, 0 if xy= 0 and let f(z)= g(x,y)(1+ i)= g(x, y)+ ig(x,y) where z= x+ iy. Then
[tex]\frac{g(x,y)}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]
for (x,y)= (0, 0) so the Riemann-Cauchy equations are satisfied there but the function is not even continuous at (0, 0).

Thanks.Doubt resolved.

1. What are Cauchy Riemann equations?

Cauchy Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that define the conditions for a complex-valued function to be differentiable. They are used to determine if a function is analytic, which means it can be represented by a power series.

2. What is the purpose of Cauchy Riemann equations?

The purpose of Cauchy Riemann equations is to determine if a function is analytic, which means it can be represented by a power series. This is important in complex analysis and many applications in physics and engineering.

3. What is the relationship between real and complex differentiability?

The relationship between real and complex differentiability is that a function is real differentiable if and only if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. This means that if a function is complex differentiable, it is also real differentiable, but the converse is not necessarily true.

4. Are Cauchy Riemann equations always satisfied?

No, Cauchy Riemann equations are only satisfied by analytic functions. Not all functions are analytic, so they may not satisfy the Cauchy Riemann equations.

5. How are Cauchy Riemann equations used in real-world applications?

Cauchy Riemann equations are used in many real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. They are also used in the study of complex functions and their behavior, which has applications in areas like finance and economics.