Solving Second Order Differential Equations using Runge Kutta

by narayanjr
Tags: differential, equations, kutta, order, runge, solving
Share this thread:
narayanjr
Dec20-10, 04:05 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In aerodynamics, one encounters the following initial value problem for Airy’s equations:

y''(x) + xy = 0, y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0

Using the Runge-Kutta method with h=0.005 and determine values between x=0 and x=10 sufficient to sketch the relationship.

2. Relevant equations
I think,
k1 = h*f(Xn, Yn)
k2 = h*f(Xn+h/2, Yn+k1/2)
k3 = h*f(Xn+h/2, Yn+k2/2)
k4 = h*f(Xn + h, Yn + k3)

3. The attempt at a solution
From what I have read you cant do second order ODE using runge kutta without breaking it into a system of first order ODEs so thats what I tried.

I tried:
d2y/dx2 + xy = 0

dy/dx = z, y(0) = 1

dz/dx + xy = 0

dz/dx = -xy, z(0) = 0

I dont know if that is right or not and if it is I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
mrmiller1
Dec21-10, 03:22 AM
P: 51
Have you ever used mathcad? It has a very easy to use RK function. First, however, you do need to reduce the order and define your system of DE's.
HallsofIvy
Dec21-10, 07:17 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,310
Quote Quote by narayanjr View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In aerodynamics, one encounters the following initial value problem for Airy’s equations:

Using the Runge-Kutta method with h=0.005 and determine values between x=0 and x=10 sufficient to sketch the relationship.

2. Relevant equations
I think,
k1 = h*f(Xn, Yn)
k2 = h*f(Xn+h/2, Yn+k1/2)
k3 = h*f(Xn+h/2, Yn+k2/2)
k4 = h*f(Xn + h, Yn + k3)

3. The attempt at a solution
From what I have read you cant do second order ODE using runge kutta without breaking it into a system of first order ODEs so thats what I tried.

I tried:
d2y/dx2 + xy = 0

dy/dx = z, y(0) = 1

dz/dx + xy = 0

dz/dx = -xy, z(0) = 0
Yes, that's correct. Now use two simultaneous Runge-Kutta calculations where, at each step, you calculate the values for both y and z and use both in the calculations for the next step.

I dont know if that is right or not and if it is I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks for any help.

D H
Dec21-10, 09:41 AM
Mentor
P: 15,061
Solving Second Order Differential Equations using Runge Kutta

Quote Quote by narayanjr View Post

I tried:
d2y/dx2 + xy = 0

dy/dx = z, y(0) = 1

dz/dx + xy = 0

dz/dx = -xy, z(0) = 0

Thanks for any help.
There is nothing in the Runge Kutta formalism that precludes using on a vector as opposed to a scalar. For example (note well: This is not your problem), suppose

[tex]\frac{d\vec x}{dt} = A \vec x\,, \quad\vec x(0) = \vec x_0[/tex]

where [itex]\vec x[/itex] is some n-vector, A is a constant n-by-n matrix, and x0 is the initial (vectorial) value.

The Runge Kutta equations can be used to numerically this problem.

Back to your problem: Create a 2-vector, I'll call it u, that comprises your y and its derivative:

[tex]\begin{aligned}
z &\equiv \frac{dy}{dx} \\[6 pt]
\vec u &= \bmatrix y \\ z\endbmatrix
\end{aligned}[/tex]

You have already derived that [itex]dy/dx = z, y(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]dz/dx = -xy, z(0) = 0[/itex]. From these, can you come up with an expression for the initial value of the vector u and the derivative of the vector u with respect to x?
narayanjr
Dec21-10, 04:16 PM
P: 3
I am doing this all in MATLAB, This is what I have come up with but I am not sure if this is correct or not.

Attached are my MATLAB code, a Graph of the results, and an excel sheet of all results.
It is zipped because it was to big otherwise. the matlab code can be opened in notepad.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MEA Proj.zip (81.1 KB, 341 views)
Gihan sky
Jun3-11, 06:55 AM
P: 6
Yes, your approach is right.

d2y/dx2 + xy = 0

dy/dx = z -------------------(1)

dz/dx = -xy -----------------(2)

y' = z, then define
y(n+1) = y(n) + (h/6)*(k1 + 2*k2 + 2*k3 +k4)

and for,
z' = -xy, define,
z(n+1) = z(n) + (h/6)*(j1 + 2*j2 + 2*j3 +j4)

now define k1 , k2 , k3 , k4 and j1 , j2 , j3 , j4

k1 = z
j1 = -x*y

k2 = z + 0.5 * j1
j2 = -( x + 0 .5 * h ) *(y + 0.5 * k1)

k3 = z + 0.5 * j2
j3 = -( x + 0 .5 * h ) *(y + 0.5 * k2)

k4 = z + j2
j4 = -( x + h ) *(y + k2)
megatron_7070
Nov11-12, 10:10 PM
P: 2
I have a similar problem with Runge Kutta with y''+2xy'=0 given boundary conditions are y=1 at x=0 and y=0 at x=infinity. I am not able to understand how to transform the second boundary condition (i.e.y=0 at x=infinity) to find a definitive value of y' at x=0.

Register to reply