Which type of REU for future PhD in Neuroscience?

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a physics major and plans to add biology as a second major. They were originally interested in astrophysics but are now considering a shift towards neuroscience, specifically computational neuroscience, due to concerns about post-grad employment and their long-term interest. They are also looking for research opportunities in this field and wondering if REUs are necessary for admissions into PhD programs in neuroscience. They still plan to pursue research in pure physics, but also want to focus on research related to their career goals.
Agent M27
I am currently declared as a physics major and will be adding biology as a second major during the upcoming semester. I was originally set on astrophysics but the scarcity of post grad employment has me worried. Also astrophysics is a bit less "tangible" than neuroscience so I worry that I may loose interest as tome goes on. Taking this into consideration I am changing my future path to have something to do with neuroscience, more specifically comp neuroscience. I have done some searching for REU's in this field but I have only found one or two which makes me wonder; are REU's in neuroscience required for PhD admissions like they are for physics PhD admissions? If not what type of REU would be beneficial for admission into neuroscience programs such as those found at Princeton, Stanford, UCSD, etc.? I still plan to do some research which pertains to pure physics because it is what I love, but I feel as if I need to have some research which is more specialized to my end goals. Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Joseph

Physics news on Phys.org
REUs are not required for physics grad admissions. Full stop.

Since your premise is incorrect, there's no point in going on with the question.

1. What is REU and how does it relate to a PhD in Neuroscience?

REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates and it is a program that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to engage in mentored research projects in various fields. It can be beneficial for students who are considering pursuing a PhD in Neuroscience as it allows them to gain hands-on research experience and make connections with potential graduate advisors.

2. What are the different types of REU programs available for students interested in a PhD in Neuroscience?

There are various types of REU programs available for students interested in a PhD in Neuroscience. Some focus on specific areas within neuroscience, such as cognitive or computational neuroscience, while others may have a broader focus. Additionally, some REU programs may be affiliated with specific universities or research institutions, while others may be independent programs.

3. Is it necessary to participate in an REU program in order to be accepted into a PhD program in Neuroscience?

No, participating in an REU program is not necessary for acceptance into a PhD program in Neuroscience. However, it can be a valuable experience that can strengthen a student's application and provide them with the skills and knowledge needed for success in graduate school.

4. How do I find and apply for REU programs in Neuroscience?

There are several ways to find and apply for REU programs in Neuroscience. Students can search for programs on university websites, research institution websites, or through online databases such as the National Science Foundation's REU program website. The application process may vary for each program, but typically involves submitting an application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

5. Are REU programs in Neuroscience paid?

Yes, most REU programs in Neuroscience provide participants with a stipend, housing, and sometimes travel expenses. The amount of the stipend may vary depending on the program and location. Some programs may also provide academic credit for the research experience. It is important for students to research the specific program they are interested in to determine the details of compensation.