Should I Retake the GRE for Geophysics PhD Programs?

In summary, a physics major is disappointed with their general GRE scores and is considering retaking the test. They are a senior and applying to PhD programs for geophysics, with a 4.0 GPA and research experience in computational neuroscience and seismology. They are also applying for the NSFGRFP and have strong letters of recommendation. They are wondering if it is worth retaking the GRE for a higher quantitative score when applying to top geophysics programs.
jbrussell93
Hey all. It has been a while since I've posted a question in the academic guidance section so here we go.

I am a physics major who just took the general GRE and am a bit disappointed in my scores.
V 157 (74%)
Q 161 (80%)
I scored much higher on the quantitative during practice tests (>90%), but I tend to struggle with these types of standardized tests. I would like to get some opinions on whether I should put in the time and effort to retake the test.

I am a senior and applying to PhD programs for geophysics (no PGRE required). Most of these PhD programs are actually through the geology department and therefore aren't quite as competitive as the typical physics PhD admission. Here are some of my stats:

Large state school
GPA: 4.0
RESEARCH: 1.5 years of computational neuroscience, 2 years of seismology, 2 REU's in geophysics/seismology
PUBLICATIONS: None (submitting paper at end of the year as first author)
PRESENTATIONS: Poster presentations at 3 national geophysics conferences

I am also applying for the NSFGRFP. Additionally, I'm expecting some pretty stellar letters of recommendation from people in the field that I'm directly interested in.

With this in mind, I'm hoping to apply to top programs for geophysics... Is it worth retaking the GRE for a higher quantitative score? Thanks for any and all input.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think most people on here can comment either way. Ultimately we are not going to make the decision, though, so you're best bet is to email the school you are applying to.

this being said, where are you applying to?

1. Should I retake the GRE for geophysics PhD programs?

This is a common question among students who are planning to apply for geophysics PhD programs. The answer depends on your current GRE scores and the requirements of the programs you are interested in. It is always a good idea to check the average GRE scores of admitted students for your desired programs. If your scores are below the average, it may be beneficial to retake the GRE to improve your chances of admission.

2. Will retaking the GRE affect my chances of admission?

Retaking the GRE may or may not affect your chances of admission. Some programs may consider your highest score, while others may take an average of all your scores. It is important to research the specific policies of the programs you are applying to before retaking the GRE.

3. How many times can I retake the GRE?

You can retake the GRE as many times as you want, as there are no limits to the number of attempts. However, it is important to keep in mind that each attempt requires a registration fee and it may also be time-consuming to prepare for and take the exam multiple times.

4. How long should I wait before retaking the GRE?

There is no set amount of time you should wait before retaking the GRE. It is recommended to take the time to thoroughly prepare for the exam and improve your scores before retaking it. This may take a few weeks or even months, depending on your study habits and availability.

5. Is it worth retaking the GRE if my scores are already high?

If your GRE scores are already high and well above the average for your desired programs, it may not be necessary to retake the exam. However, if you believe that your scores do not accurately reflect your abilities, retaking the GRE may give you a chance to showcase your skills and improve your application. It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals.