No scientist has ever seen an electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of things that cannot be seen, such as electrons, ghosts, and deities. The speaker argues that science can provide evidence for the existence of electrons through testable predictions, but not for ghosts or deities. They also mention the possibility of contradicting oneself when looking for evidence of a deity, and personal beliefs about the separation of religion and science. The conversation ends with questions about whether science can prove the non-existence of ghosts and how uncertainty about electrons affects beliefs about other unseen entities.
zorro
No scientist has ever seen an electron...

No scientist has ever seen an electron but yet believe in its existence. An intelligent but superstitious man advances this analogy to argue that ghosts exist even though no one has ever seen one. How will you refute his arguement?

Is the statement logical? Consider this - No one has ever seen God, yet they believe in its existence (except atheists).

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org

Because the theory of the electron generates <i>testable</i> predictions, whereas the theories of ghosts&Gods are so vague that they do not, by the theory's own logical necessities generate any testable predictions at all.

No scientist has ever seen wind either.

I think since there are many versions of a God/Goddess and scriptures binding them which leads to people either having faith in a deity (theist) or not believing in one.

I find your post to be a bit mis leading in comparison as well as using the term "God" which I think has been used in a very general/vague manner.Scriptures happen to self contradict whereas scientific method doesn't (if it does then that hypothesis is invalid).Again for science it's a binary language : There exists something or doesn't - 0 or 1.There are things which science can't explain for now but to some people religion does.We call them miracles.
Perhaps if we are to look for an evidence of a "deity"/creator then we would be contradicting ourselves because if we are to assume that "XYZ proves god's existence" ,then it makes that version of a god "being a part of this observable universe" aka a creator being created out of a big bang.

On a personal note being a theist(Muslim) born and raised in the heart of Islam , I segregate religion and science.
=]

what does it mean to see something , Like to receive photons

cragar said:
what does it mean to see something , Like to receive photons

What else can it mean ? :rolleyes:

ibysaiyan said:
I think since there are many versions of a God/Goddess and scriptures binding them which leads to people either having faith in a deity (theist) or not believing in one.

I find your post to be a bit mis leading in comparison as well as using the term "God" which I think has been used in a very general/vague manner.Scriptures happen to self contradict whereas scientific method doesn't (if it does then that hypothesis is invalid).Again for science it's a binary language : There exists something or doesn't - 0 or 1.There are things which science can't explain for now but to some people religion does.We call them miracles.
Perhaps if we are to look for an evidence of a "deity"/creator then we would be contradicting ourselves because if we are to assume that "XYZ proves god's existence" ,then it makes that version of a god "being a part of this observable universe" aka a creator being created out of a big bang.

On a personal note being a theist(Muslim) born and raised in the heart of Islam , I segregate religion and science.
=]

Its my mistake. I should not have included the question about God here.
Science cannot explain everything.

arildno said:
Because the theory of the electron generates <i>testable</i> predictions, whereas the theories of ghosts&Gods are so vague that they do not, by the theory's own logical necessities generate any testable predictions at all.

Is there any scientific theory which can prove the non-existence of Ghosts?
If science doesnot have any clear theory about something, how can we say that it doesnot exist?

Then in a sense we have seen electrons , because they emit photons all the time .

Photons come into play only after proving the existence of electrons. When you are uncertain about the latter (in the sense you have not seen it), no question about the former. I am not telling that electrons don't exist, mind you.

Ghosts? Gods and goddesses? Uncertainty about electrons?
This thread is not going anywhere good.

Related to No scientist has ever seen an electron

1. Why is it impossible for scientists to see an electron?

Electrons are subatomic particles that are much smaller than the wavelength of visible light. This means that they cannot be directly observed using traditional light microscopes or any other optical instruments.

2. How do scientists know that electrons exist if they cannot see them?

Scientists have developed various indirect methods to study and understand the behavior of electrons. These include experiments with electric and magnetic fields, as well as particle accelerators that can manipulate and detect the presence of electrons.

3. Can scientists create an instrument that can directly observe electrons?

Currently, there is no known technology that can directly observe electrons due to their incredibly small size. However, scientists continue to develop new techniques and technologies that can provide more detailed information about electrons.

4. Is it possible for future advancements in technology to enable scientists to see electrons?

It is impossible to say for certain if future advancements in technology will allow scientists to see electrons. However, it is unlikely that we will ever be able to directly observe electrons due to their subatomic size and the limitations of our current understanding of physics.

5. How do scientists know that their theories about electrons are accurate if they cannot see them?

Scientists use a combination of experimentation, mathematical models, and peer review to develop and refine theories about electrons. These theories are constantly tested and updated as new evidence and technology become available.