Can scientists finally contain lightning in a bottle with a stable plasma ring?

In summary, engineers from Caltech have created a stable plasma ring without a container, essentially capturing lightning in a bottle. This means that a magnetic ring is no longer necessary, which could have implications for the ITER project. However, the ring is relatively small and requires a continuous stream of water to maintain stability, making it unlikely to be a viable option for energy storage. The researchers suggest that it could be useful for investigating plasma-matter interactions or in plasma-based deposition techniques. Overall, while it may not have practical applications, the technology is still impressive.
Like Magic, Only Better
When it was first described in the 1920s by physicist Irvin Langmuir, plasma was said to be one of the fundamental states of matter, though not one that exists freely on Earth under normal circumstances. Plasma is made up of charged particles, ions and electrons, and does occur naturally as lightning; an occurrence that can be contained in man-made objects like florescent light bulbs and plasma-cutting torches.

Now, for the first time, engineers from the California Institute of Technology(Caltech) have been able to create a stable plasma ring without a container According to the Caltech press release, it’s “essentially capturing lightning in a bottle, but without the bottle.”

https://futurism.com/stable-plasma-ring-created-open-air-first-time-ever/

Likes atyy
Engineering news on Phys.org
Awesome! Its mentioned that no magnetic ring was necessary. What would this mean for ITER since a magnetic field is the entire premise of it? Would this be more viable for energy storage?

Likes atyy
DS2C said:
Awesome! Its mentioned that no magnetic ring was necessary.
It also says that a continuous 9000 psi stream of water is required to maintain ring.
What would this mean for ITER since a magnetic field is the entire premise of it?
The ring looks like it's only 100 µm in diameter. [ref: my eyeballing of figure 1 (A) from the original paper]
I think the ITER* plasma ring is a bit larger. (google google google)
Yup: [ITER] major radius 6.2 m [ref: wiki]

Sounds like they would have some scaling up to do.

That does sound like a fun maths problem though:
Find the flow rate required to create an ITER sized plasma torus utilizing Caltech's method.
Extra credit: Determine if such a pump exists on the planet, and costs.
Variables:
fluid velocity: 300 meters/second (671 mph)
fluid radius: 6 meters (19.7 feet)
Being retired, I'll do it:
Flow rate: 34,000 m^3/sec (9 million gallons per second)
Capacity of the largest pump in the world: 150,000 gallons/sec [ref: Gizmodo, circa 2011]
Pumps required: 60
Cost of that pump: $500 million
Cost for 60 such pumps to do the experiment: $30 billion
Would running 60 such pumps in parallel work?
Probably not.​
Conclusion: skip this experiment.​

Would this be more viable for energy storage?
From my interpretation of:

...suggest pathways to create energy-storing coherent plasma structures at atmospheric pressure (47)

(47) Smirnov BM (1993) Physics of ball lightning. Phys Rep 224:151–236..​

It sounds like they are suggesting more experiments, and have not suggested that this is a currently a viable energy storage system.

* I had to look up "ITER"
per wiki; "ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor and Latin for "the way") is an international nuclear fusion research and engineering megaproject, which will be the world's largest magnetic confinement plasma physics experiment. It is an experimental tokamak nuclear fusion reactor that is being built next to the Cadarache facility in Saint-Paul-lès-Durance, in southern France."

Likes PAllen and atyy
DS2C said:
Awesome! Its mentioned that no magnetic ring was necessary. What would this mean for ITER since a magnetic field is the entire premise of it? Would this be more viable for energy storage?
It is relatively cold, it is tiny, and it needs a continuous water stream, otherwise it breaks down in fractions of a second.

Here is the original publication without futurism's usual dose of "this will solve all the world's problems tomorrrow" journalism.
The confined and chamberless nature of this plasmoid has potential implications for the investigation of plasma–matter interactions, in the development of plasma-based deposition techniques for the microelectronics industry, in the emerging field of plasma medicine, or as a model for energy-storing self-maintained plasmoids.
The energy storage is not really an application they expect. This becomes even more clear in the full text:
Our platform could also be of interest within the technological challenge of plasma self-confinement (46) or suggest pathways to create energy-storing coherent plasma structures at atmospheric pressure (47).
It is an interesting new tool, but it won't be used for fusion, and it doesn't look useful for energy storage either.

Likes Evanish and atyy
Well even if it's not a viable option for energy storage, I think it's still pretty cool!

I just changed my avatar as it is a screen capture of an optical feedback loop in the process of becoming a consistent rotating ring. To make this ring cover the centre of the circle for long enough to effectively introduce a shadow into the feedback loop without destroying the pattern. I have only done it twice before nearly 20 years ago (using my finger) and the amazing thing is that there are 2 sets of tiny 'waves' running in different directions around the inside and outside of the ring.

image048.jpg

image054.jpg

image062.jpg

Attachments

• image048.jpg
    image048.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 700
  • image054.jpg
    image054.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 685
  • image062.jpg
    image062.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 682

1. What is a First Stable Plasma Ring?

A First Stable Plasma Ring is a type of plasma confinement device used in fusion research. It consists of a toroidal (doughnut-shaped) ring of plasma, held in place by magnetic fields, in which fusion reactions can occur.

2. How is a First Stable Plasma Ring created?

A First Stable Plasma Ring is created by injecting a gas, such as hydrogen, into a vacuum chamber and then applying a strong magnetic field. This causes the gas to ionize and form a plasma, which is then shaped into a ring by the magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of studying First Stable Plasma Rings?

The purpose of studying First Stable Plasma Rings is to better understand plasma physics and fusion reactions, which could potentially lead to the development of clean and abundant energy sources. It also has applications in materials science and astrophysics.

4. How long can a First Stable Plasma Ring be sustained?

The duration of a First Stable Plasma Ring depends on the conditions and parameters of the experiment, but it can typically be sustained for a few milliseconds to a few seconds. Ongoing research is focused on increasing the duration of stable plasma rings.

5. What challenges are associated with creating and maintaining a First Stable Plasma Ring?

Creating and maintaining a First Stable Plasma Ring is a complex and challenging process. One of the main challenges is controlling and stabilizing the plasma, as it is prone to instabilities and disruptions. Another challenge is finding suitable materials to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures within the ring.