Solve Uxx-3Uxt-4Utt=0 (hyperbolic)

• Thread starter forget_f1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbolic
In summary, the problem is to solve the hyperbolic equation Uxx-3Uxt-4Utt=0 with initial conditions u(x,0)=x^2 and Ut(x,0)=e^x. To obtain the wave equation form, the variables x and t are transformed linearly. The general solution is u(a,b)=f(a+b)+g(a-b) and the explicit solution is u(a,b)=(1/2)*[φ(a+b)+φ(a-b)]*(1/2c)*(integral ψ(s)ds from a-b to a+b), with initial conditions u(a,0)=φ(a) and Ub(a,0)=ψ(a). To obtain the solution, the functions φ
forget_f1
solve Uxx-3Uxt-4Utt=0 (hyperbolic) help!

solve Uxx-3Uxt-4Utt=0 with u(x,0)=x^2 and Ut(x,0)=e^x

I know that this is hyperbolic since D=(-1.5)^2+4 >0 so I have to transform the variables x and t linearly to obtain the wave equation of the form
(Utt-c^2Uxx=0). The above equation is equivalent to:

(d/dx - 1.5 d/dt)*(d/dx - 1.5 d/dt)u - 6.25 d^2u/dt^2 = 0

let x=b
let t=-1.5b + 2.5a
Thus,
Ub=Ux - (1.5) Ut
Ua=2.5 Ut

thus Ubb-Uaa=0. This is where I am stuck..

I know the general solution is u(a,b)=f(a+b)+g(a-b)
also the explicit solution is u(a,b)=(1/2)*[φ(a+b)+φ(a-b)]*(1/2c)*(integral
ψ(s)ds from a-b to a+b).
where u(a,0)=φ(a) and Ub(a,0)=ψ(a).

The solution is (4/5)*[e^(x+t/4)-e^(x-t)]+x^2+(1/4)*t^2
but how to obtain it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"I know the general solution is u(a,b)=f(a+b)+g(a-b)
also the explicit solution is u(a,b)=(1/2)*[φ(a+b)+φ(a-b)]*(1/2c)*(integral
ψ(s)ds from a-b to a+b).
where u(a,0)=φ(a) and Ub(a,0)=ψ(a)."

Excuse me? That the first time φ has appeared. What is φ(x)??

u(a,0)=φ(a) and Ub(a,0)=ψ(a)

These are the initial conditions that would satisfy the explicit solution, in terms of a and b. φ and ψ ar functions.

Now what functions they are, that is where I need help, if I need them at all that is.

Problem solved, thanks for taking the time to look at it

1. What is the hyperbolic equation?

The hyperbolic equation is a mathematical equation that involves the hyperbolic functions, such as the hyperbolic sine and cosine. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as waves and vibrations.

2. What is the general solution to the hyperbolic equation Uxx-3Uxt-4Utt=0?

The general solution to this hyperbolic equation is U(x,t) = f(x-3t) + g(x+4t), where f and g are arbitrary functions. This solution can be verified by substituting it into the original equation.

3. How is the hyperbolic equation solved?

The hyperbolic equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transform. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What is the physical significance of the hyperbolic equation?

The hyperbolic equation has many physical applications, such as modeling the behavior of strings, springs, and electrical circuits. It is also used in the study of heat transfer, fluid flow, and other phenomena in engineering and physics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the hyperbolic equation?

Yes, the hyperbolic equation has many real-world examples, such as the vibrating string, the heat equation, and the telegraph equation. It is also used in various fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and mechanical engineering.