Current through a circuit.

by benhorris
Tags: circuit, current
benhorris
Oct5-04, 03:16 PM
P: 21
Three resitors values 2, 3 and 5 ohms are connected in series whith a battery of 6 V. Caluclate the current through each resistor and the current through the battery.

My answers, (which are wrong) lol.

Current through battery = V =IXR = 6/0 = 0 A

This is my other problem, is the current through a series circuite the same if so do i add all the resistor values up then work out the current??? This is so simple to what im used to its confusing me!!!! Help any one...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
chroot
Oct5-04, 03:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
Resistors in series add resistance values like this:

[tex]R_\textrm{total} = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_N[/tex]

In this case, the total resistance is 10 ohms. The current through each resistor must be the same, since they are in series. A 6V battery driving a 10 ohm load will deliver 6V / 10 ohms of current. The current through each resistor is thus just 6V / 10 ohms.

The current through the battery is, in fact, the hard part of this question. For the sake of most easy electronics problems, you can assume the battery is an "ideal" voltage source with unspecified internal mechanism. Current can be assumed to flow through it in the same way that it flows through the resistors. The ideal battery contributes no resistance to the circuit, but somehow generates a potential difference and causes the electrons to move through it.

- Warren
benhorris
Oct5-04, 03:32 PM
P: 21
Thank you very very much warren, great help... :-)

Register to reply