How to sleep for 6 hours?

by zorro
Tags: hours, sleep
zorro
Jan15-11, 04:36 PM
P: 1,395
Hello PFers,

My exams are approaching and I need to put in more studyhours. I can't getup without having a sound sleep of atleast 8 hours. I tried many things - kept the alarm far away so that I have to walk a few steps to turn it off, put the A.C. on a timer etc but failed.

I don't care if it affects my health, its just a matter of 2.5 months. To achieve something you have to lose something. Please suggest me some ways to do this.

Thanks in advance.
A.Q.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Ryker
Jan15-11, 04:41 PM
P: 1,089
What exactly do you think you will achieve by doing this? Feeling like crap and not being able to learn as efficiently or as fast as you would have had you been well rested? Well, if that's your goal, you're asking the right question.
zorro
Jan15-11, 04:49 PM
By doing that, I will achieve a good rank in my exam. 95% of the top rankers sleep for 6-7 hours a day.

If I get a sleep of 6 hours, I don't feel like crap, I can study efficiently - only if I get up.
Don't care about the aftereffects, just tell me how do I achieve it.

Angry Citizen
Jan15-11, 04:56 PM
P: 867

How to sleep for 6 hours?

By doing that, I will achieve a good rank in my exam.
You won't. Trust me on this. Getting a good night's sleep beats all-nighters any day. Screw the top rankers. If you can't get out of bed, then DONT GET OUT OF BED. Just use the time you have more wisely.

If you're dead set on it, then I don't know what to tell you. I can set my alarm right next to my bed and never fall back asleep.
DaveC426913
Jan15-11, 04:59 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by Abdul Quadeer View Post
Don't care about the aftereffects
What makes you think they will be aftereffects as opposed to duringeffects?

The first week of sleep loss will compromise your ability to study in the second week. And it will accumulate.
jeebs
Jan15-11, 05:00 PM
P: 326
you do realize that sleep helps you organize what you've tried to learn in your mind? I'm revising for exams myself right now and I definitely notice that when I've found something hard to understand, then slept on it, it's been easier to tackle at the next attempt.
it's important to get enough sleep or you won't be able to concentrate either. I'm sure that 16 hours of potential work time per day for 2.5 months is not going to be that much different to 18 hours.
DaveC426913
Jan15-11, 05:05 PM
jeebs is right. In the long-term (2.5 months) you would be much better to organize other parts of your life to get the extra time you need. Sleep is the one you should not compromise on.
zorro
Jan15-11, 05:13 PM
hmmm....
Is a 7 hours sleep fine?
DaveC426913
Jan15-11, 05:17 PM
hmmm....
Is a 7 hours sleep fine?
How much do you need?

How much do you need to feel rested and alert? It sounds like you need 8 hours.

What are you doing with the other 16?
glueball8
Jan15-11, 05:18 PM
P: 342
Like others said, sleeping 6 hours instead of what you need 8 hours will only have a negative impact on your learning and mark.

Sleep is not to just rest your body and mind. During your sleep you are relearning everything during the day, but it skips over the non-important parts(like skipping the boring parts of a movie). So no matter how much you study and try to be productive, sleeping is MORE productive. (Over sleep is not productive though.)

Rather than trying to work like never before, you should study smarter than ever before. I'm sure every top student has a good studying habit, and I'm sure the program you want to get in wants you to have a good studying habit.

The hard part is to develop a good studying habit. Developing a good studying habit is a art, it takes a lot of effort, time, adaptation and self control. It is VERY hard.
glueball8
Jan15-11, 05:22 PM
P: 342
hmmm....
Is a 7 hours sleep fine?
There is no hour for everyone, it depends on you. There are probably people who only needs 6 hours while some people needs close to 9. Though most people need 7-8 hours.
zorro
Jan15-11, 05:27 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
How much do you need?

How much do you need to feel rested and alert? It sounds like you need 8 hours.
erm I need 7-7.5 hours to feel rested. But if no one wakes me up I sleep for 8-9 hours (=laziness).

What are you doing with the other 16?
I have been studying for 7-9 hours a day for the past 4 months, not continuosly but with breaks throughout the day.Rest of the time for eating, praying, watching t.v. etc.
Now I need to increase it to around 12-14 hours of sincere studying. I am preparing for the world's most challenging/toughest Engineering Entrance Exam. I have seen students who sleep for 4-5 hours for the whole year and get a rank below 5000 (out of 4 Lakh)
Choppy
Jan15-11, 05:29 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,568
I'm not sure there's a good way to reduce the amount of sleep you need, although some things to try include:
- regular sleep schedule
- regular exercise
- limit caffeine intake - particularly in the hours leading up to bedtime
- write out everything you need to accomplish the next day so that you won't dwell on it while you're trying to sleep
- do what you can to limit distractions that might wake you
- avoid television before sleeping
- have a regular wind-down routine
- for getting up sometimes a nice shower can do the trick

Those tips will help you get better sleep, which is what you should focus on, rather than decreasing the amount of bad sleep.

Otherwise, the best advice is to figure out how to study more efficiently. That is something you CAN change and improve on and will give you measurable results. There's a lot of threads on that, so look around and good luck!
zorro
Jan15-11, 05:47 PM
Quote Quote by Choppy View Post
- for getting up sometimes a nice shower can do the trick
I wish there was a shower attached to my bed

Quote Quote by Choppy View Post
Those tips will help you get better sleep, which is what you should focus on, rather than decreasing the amount of bad sleep.

Otherwise, the best advice is to figure out how to study more efficiently. That is something you CAN change and improve on and will give you measurable results. There's a lot of threads on that, so look around and good luck!
Nice post.
gb7nash
Jan15-11, 07:39 PM
HW Helper
P: 805
By doing that, I will achieve a good rank in my exam. 95% of the top rankers sleep for 6-7 hours a day.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/po...sleep-08-12-08
Simfish
Jan15-11, 10:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 828
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...or-health.html

Honestly, 6 hours of sleep is just as good as 8 hours of sleep.

==

As for sleeping less, well, trying to split up your sleep into two (or more) intervals might do the trick. More intervals reduces your sleep the most (it's called polyphasic sleep), but 2 intervals is a lot easier.

And if you're feeling unalert after waking up, modafinil or Ritalin would do the trick (I won't advocate adderall since it's neurotoxic). If you could ever get your hands on modafinil, that's probably the best solution (but it's also very very expensive)
DaveC426913
Jan15-11, 11:10 PM
Quote Quote by Simfish View Post

Don't be silly. Everyone's different, and they need as much as they need. The 8 hours thing is just an average.

That article uses only a single criterion - heart disease - as an indicator. A good done, but still just one.
Ryker
Jan15-11, 11:17 PM
P: 1,089
Quote Quote by Simfish View Post

You study Physics, ie. a science, where they're supposed to teach you the scientific method, as well as how to interpret data and think logically, and this is your conclusion after reading that article?
Don't be silly. Everyone's different, and they need as much as they need. The 8 hours thing is just an average.

That article uses only a single criterion - heart disease - as an indicator. A goo done, but still just one.
Not to mention that there was no link to the original study, and confounding factors that might have come into play weren't even discussed (were they discussed in the study at all - well we don't know that either!).

Register to reply