I'm worried I'm self-destructing and need advice

• Thread starter jaguar ride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Need advice
In summary, the student is struggling with academics and is worried about losing their scholarship. They mention that they are tired and have no recollection of their last physical. They ask for advice on how to recover.
jaguar ride
I have three semesters left before I get my BSME. I went back to school a few years after high school, and a few years later (I had to start at the very bottom, seeing as I didn't even pass algebra in high school) I got accepted into an engineering school. I've done well enough up until now to get a full scholarship.

But this semester, something happened that I can't explain. I just started doing very poorly. It isn't the difficulty of the coursework. I'm doing bad in some of the easiest classes. I'm failing quizzes left and right and making ridiculous mistakes on tests. I'm having to drop a 1 credit hour programming class because I've fallen so behind.

At first I thought, "well, I just need to study harder." So I'm at school studying on average 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. It didn't help, and I did just as bad on the following tests. I'm now starting to lose sleep over it. Worrying about losing my scholarship with only 3 semesters left, after the years of work I've put into this.

I'm friendly with my professors, and ask for help whenever I need it. I've expressed my concern, and their answers are, "you just need to study harder".

At this point I don't know why this is suddenly happening, or how I can fix it. I'm worried I'm burnt out from the previous five years.

Has anyone had this happen to them? How did you recover? I can't be the only one. I really don't want to go back to working long hours at the steelyard...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any possibility that it could have a medical cause? Do you play contact sports, and maybe suffered a concussion recently? Or have there been any changes in your meds or supplements recently? Can you associate any outside environmental changes with the change in your schoolwork? When was your last physical?

Likes okantomi and Student100
Junior year was the hardest of M.E. school, by far. I remember getting up for my 8:00am class and working almost non-stop till midnight, except for 30 min lunch and 30 min dinner. That was 5 days a week. Then for the weekend I probably took off 1 night and 1 afternoon to do something fun, other than that it was all work. Not sure why they pile on the workload so much Junior year, but I've heard similar stories from other engineering schools as well. All I can say is keep at it and it gets easier Senior year.

Sounds like you're on self-feeding negative spiral. Spring break is coming up soon right? Try to flounder above water until then and use the time to reset.

You're probably studying too much if you spend 12 hours, not counting lectures, 7 days a week. Take a break. Let the material sink in, go out and stop thinking about how you're doing badly. If all you think about is how bad things are going, they will keep going poorly. Start being more positive.

Also take berkemans comment into consideration.

Likes okantomi
berkeman said:
Is there any possibility that it could have a medical cause? Do you play contact sports, and maybe suffered a concussion recently? Or have there been any changes in your meds or supplements recently? Can you associate any outside environmental changes with the change in your schoolwork? When was your last physical?

I'm normally an extremely active person, so it has crossed my mind that lack of exercise could be playing a role. But I don't see how it could have SUCH a huge negative impact. I've also been trying very hard to get adequate sleep and eat healthy this semester. I will consider seeing a doctor, as I have no recollection of my last physical.

And student100 is right, I am on a negative spiral. I can see myself self-destructing, and it really worries me.

Thank you all for your replies, I'll take them all into consideration.

Likes okantomi and berkeman
jaguar ride, there is chance that you should not study harder, but "lighter". Many people cannot cope with the level of stress you are putting up with for extended amounts of time. Especially once noticed that things go amiss. After a while, efficiency tends to start to drop rapidly. In fact, I think that few people on this planet can get more done in 60h/week than correctly organized 30h/week.

Depending on what kinds of mental constitutions you may or may not have, also a lack of physical activity might have severe negative consequences for your ability to concentrate. Not everyone can sit on the desk all day 7 days/week. If considering all your recent changes in lifestyle, health, and activity, and taking a physical (all as berkeman suggested) should not help, it might be worth trying to do something completely different: Set a strict time limit per day on how long you study. This forces you to spend the time with maximum efficiency and plan ahead (think about what you need to know, which skills to get, in which order, and how to efficiently study to get there). And might give you time to fix the other issues affecting your life.

Likes okantomi and NathanaelNolk

1. How do I know if I'm self-destructing?

Self-destruction can manifest in many different ways, but some common signs include engaging in harmful behaviors such as substance abuse, self-harm, or risky behaviors, feeling stuck or hopeless, and having difficulty maintaining relationships or responsibilities.

2. What are some strategies for avoiding self-destructive behaviors?

One strategy is to identify triggers and try to avoid them or develop coping mechanisms. It can also be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a therapist. Additionally, practicing self-care and finding healthy outlets for emotions can help prevent self-destructive behaviors.

3. How can I break out of self-destructive patterns?

Breaking out of self-destructive patterns can be challenging, but it starts with acknowledging that change is needed. It can be helpful to identify the root causes of the behavior and work on addressing them. Seeking professional help and involving a support system can also aid in breaking out of self-destructive patterns.

4. Is it possible to recover from self-destruction?

Yes, it is possible to recover from self-destruction. Recovery looks different for everyone, but it typically involves identifying and addressing the underlying issues, developing healthy coping mechanisms, and making positive changes. It may also require ongoing support and therapy.

5. What should I do if I'm concerned about a loved one who may be self-destructing?

If you are concerned about a loved one who may be self-destructing, it's important to approach them with care and understanding. Encourage them to seek professional help and offer your support. It's also essential to set boundaries and take care of yourself while supporting your loved one.