Register to reply

Why does it feel like Fall?

by Loren Booda
Tags: fall, feel
Share this thread:
Loren Booda
Oct6-04, 04:32 PM
P: 3,408
For those in the Northern Hemisphere (or the Southern Hemisphere, offset by 6 months), why does Fall feel the way it does?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
The Bob
Oct6-04, 04:37 PM
P: 1,116
Quote Quote by Loren Booda
For those in the Northern Hemisphere (or the Southern Hemisphere, offset by 6 months), why does Fall feel the way it does?
Who has fallen???

The Bob (2004 )
chroot
Oct6-04, 04:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
How exactly does fall feel?

- Warren

Loren Booda
Oct6-04, 05:03 PM
Why does it feel like Fall?

For me, a feeling of melancholy, or motivation like the ant of Aesop fame.
Evo
Oct6-04, 05:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
I get "frisky" in the Fall. It's my favorite season.

After a miserable hot, humid summer, the cooler air is refreshing. There is less humidity, which means less bad hair days.

The leaves start changing colors. It's the beginning of the holiday season. I don't have to mow or weed whack as often.

I can sleep with the windows open and get fresh air.
Zantra
Oct6-04, 05:11 PM
P: 869
I know.. brrr it gets cold. May even drop down into the FIFTIES for a brief period of time at night *shivers*
Gokul43201
Oct6-04, 06:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
It's already been getting down to the thirties , last two nights. I miss the summer terribly ...but at least there's football in the weekends, so I won't complain so much !

And if I sleep with the windows open, I'll be an icicle by dawn.
motai
Oct6-04, 07:24 PM
P: 496
Quote Quote by Zantra
I know.. brrr it gets cold. May even drop down into the FIFTIES for a brief period of time at night *shivers*
Very true. When it gets that cold I gotta break out some of my sweaters and jackets. At least the water temperature is cooling down slightly so I wont get smacked by another hurricane.
selfAdjoint
Oct6-04, 07:33 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Today in the Fox Valley it was lovely, temperature pushing 70 (Fahrenheit), blue skies, red and yellow and purple leaves on the trees, but many still green. My three mile walk was a delight, after a couple of days of Mut! (cf Die Wintereise).

A few years ago I used to get blue in the Fall, thinking of the Winter ahead. But my women folk convinced me to appreciate Fall for what it is, and that has made a happy difference in my life.
Moonbear
Oct6-04, 07:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
To me, Fall is cold! It's that horrid transition from beautiful, hot, sunny days when I sleep with the windows open every night (I love fresh air as long as it's warm air!), to starting to batten down the hatches for winter. I actually started seriously contemplating turning the heat on the past few nights. Opted to just turn on a small electric heater in my bedroom so I don't turn into an icicle at night...or worse, get shocked by that first blast of cold air as I climb out from burrow under the blankets. I'm one of those people who sleeps with a comforter on even in 90 degree heat...yet another reason I live alone?
Chrono
Oct6-04, 08:35 PM
P: 439
Quote Quote by Evo
I get "frisky" in the Fall. It's my favorite season.
That's very interesting.
Loren Booda
Oct6-04, 08:48 PM
My Fall nemesis: raking leaves! I guess I'm old-fashioned - no blower.

It's equivalent to mowing the lawn twice a week for a month. I try to look at it as exercise. Freezing rain I don't need.
Moonbear
Oct7-04, 02:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
My Fall nemesis: raking leaves! I guess I'm old-fashioned - no blower.

It's equivalent to mowing the lawn twice a week for a month. I try to look at it as exercise. Freezing rain I don't need.
Well, my lawn is still green and growing and the leaves are already falling (darned cicadas aerated the soil, and we got a lot of rain, so the lawn has been far too healthy this summer!) No break between the lawn mowing and leaf-raking for me. At least we don't get too much snow here, so shovelling snow is a much less frequent task. But I prefer lawn-mowing to leaf raking. At least the lawn-mowing is done in warm weather. Nothing worse than damp, chilly days of raking up wet leaves.
Tsu
Oct7-04, 05:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 638
I think I know what you are talking about Loren, because I can also 'feel' Fall. I think it has a lot to do with the position of the sun and the shadows that they cast and the interaction of the suns rays with the atmospheric conditions. After a hot summer, vegetation is beginning to brown and die back. The ground has dried and is somewhat parched and there is less humidity in the air. Where we live, people being burning yard debris and firing up their woodstoves on cooler nights, so I can frequently smell wood smoke in the air. All of these things together give the air an almost surreal quality... It reminds me of the way artists flock to the Santa Barbara, California area or the south of France because of the 'quality of the light' in these places. I also think (for me, anyway) that it makes me think of the cycle of life and the way everything dies or goes dormant, only to be renewed in the spring with the return of the sun to our hemisphere. I love Fall.

(winter sucks , spring is WONDERFUL and summer is SKI TIME!!! but Fall is special. )
gazzo
Oct7-04, 06:57 AM
P: 179
woohoo spring here nearly summer.

Wallowing in the leaves at the park is always fun during fall.

Monique
Oct7-04, 07:33 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
I like fall too, when you notice the days getting shorter.. watchin a movie and snuggling up under a blanket on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate topped with a generous amount of whipped cream

As a kid you'd be anticipating the arrival of Sinterklaas and Santa Claus nostalgia.
Chrono
Oct7-04, 10:52 PM
P: 439
Quote Quote by Monique
As a kid you'd be anticipating the arrival of Sinterklaas and Santa Claus nostalgia.
And you can't sleep the night before they come. And when the morning does come you get up in the wee hours of the morning to see what happend.
check
Oct7-04, 11:12 PM
P: 275
To me, Fall has this weird feeling about it... I tend to feel 'it' about a week after the official start of the season.
It's hard to explain how it feels...it's just feels 'different' from a mental perspective, not just the physical changes. All the other seaons have their own feeling about them but to me, fall comes in the fastest and the strongest by far.
I guess I would call it a feeling of.. uncertianty... though that's probably not the best way I could describe it.

Register to reply