What types of jobs with an Associates in Engineering

In summary, the speakers discussed their educational backgrounds and future plans. One speaker is graduating with an associates in general engineering and will be moving on to a four-year school to complete their BS. They are interested in finding a job in either Civil or Mechanical engineering while continuing their education. The other speaker has a Diploma in Industrial Electricity and has been working in industrial maintenance for 12 years. They are currently an electrical technician and are pursuing an AAS in EE. However, they express that their personal experience has shown that Associate Degrees are not very valuable unless one wants to become a technician. They advise that it may be better to pursue a Bachelor's degree instead.
eastburn1224
In May I will be graduating from a local community college with an associates in general engineering. I will be moving onto a four year school to finish my BS (most likely Temple University). Now my question is, are there any jobs that you could get with only an associates while I continuing my education. I will most likely be focusing on either Civil or Mechanical. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also would like to know, I am just a few classes away from getting my Associates in Electrical Engineering. I have a Diploma in Industrial Electricity and have been working in industrial maintenance for 12 yrs. and am currently and electrical technician (10 yrs. multi-skilled and the last 2 yrs. strictly electrical due to a job change). I have returned to school to get my AAS in EE, so I would really like to know what possibilities lay ahead.

In my own personal experience, Associate Degrees are nearly worthless unless you want to be a Tech.
I went for an Associate of Applied Science in Electrical Engineering Technology over 10 years ago because I didn't know any better. I got a job doing technical writing that paid well, but really wasn't all that related to EE. And I really didn't like the job. I later got an engineering technician job that was a lot more fun, but didn't pay squat.
I kept going to school part time and finally got my BSEE last year. I wish I had skipped the AAS degree and went straight for the Bachelor's.

What types of jobs can I get with an Associates in Engineering?

With an Associates in Engineering, you can qualify for entry-level positions in various industries. Some common job titles include engineering technician, quality control technician, manufacturing technician, and design technician.

Can I work as an engineer with an Associates in Engineering?

While an Associates in Engineering can help you gain entry-level positions in the engineering field, it is not sufficient for working as a professional engineer. To become a licensed engineer, you will need to complete a bachelor's degree in engineering and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.

What skills will I learn in an Associates in Engineering program?

An Associates in Engineering program will provide you with a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering principles. You will also gain technical skills in areas such as computer-aided design (CAD), materials testing, and data analysis. Additionally, you will develop problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.

What industries can I work in with an Associates in Engineering?

An Associates in Engineering can open doors to various industries such as manufacturing, construction, transportation, energy, and telecommunications. You may also find opportunities in government agencies or consulting firms.

Can I transfer my credits from an Associates in Engineering to a bachelor's degree program?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer transfer programs for students with an Associates in Engineering. These programs allow you to transfer your credits and continue your education towards a bachelor's degree in engineering. However, transfer requirements may vary, so it is important to research and plan early.