Register to reply

Levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring?

Share this thread:
cragar
Feb5-11, 06:31 PM
P: 2,468
Is it possible to levitate a magnet in a superconducting pipe or a ring?
Is it possible to try to calculate this using the method of images and treat the magnet as a little current loop? Any input will be much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
cragar
Feb7-11, 01:21 AM
P: 2,468
thanks for the links

Phrak
Feb7-11, 01:36 AM
P: 4,512
Levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring?

This should give you the same stability as balancing one magnet over another where the poles are reversed. But any misalignment of axes will result in the magnet being pushed off radially. An array of superconducting loops over a surface may work as they approximate a superconducting surface.

I think this is an inexact approximation, where a large surface covered with small superconducting loops would allow freedom over the plane with velocity of the magnet unchanged from an intial velocity and the height fixed above the surface.
Synetos
Feb7-11, 03:33 AM
P: 40
Yes, we actually do that at rino, a Dutch student organisation that goes around schools to inform kids about physics.
f95toli
Feb7-11, 05:18 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,260
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
This should give you the same stability as balancing one magnet over another where the poles are reversed. But any misalignment of axes will result in the magnet being pushed off radially. An array of superconducting loops over a surface may work as they approximate a superconducting surface.
No, it is different. Remember that we are dealing with a diamagnetic effect here, so Earnshaw's theorem does not apply. Hence, it IS possible and it has been done, it is just very difficult if you are using a type I superconductor.

In most experiments (including the one in the above picture) type II superconductors are used. Here the magnet is "stabilized" by flux pinning which holds it in place (if you try to move the magnet it feels a bit like moving it in gel).
Note that the pinning can be "dynamic"; you are free to move the magnet (or the SC) as long as the field configuration stays the same. This is why it is e,g, possible make levitating model trains (with a SC in the "engine" levitating over a magnetic strip); when I was a PhD student we used a train to demonstrate superconductivity for visitors and undergraduates.
Phrak
Feb8-11, 04:12 AM
P: 4,512
[QUOTE=f95toli;3124576]No, it is different. Remember that we are dealing with a diamagnetic effect here, so Earnshaw's theorem does not apply. Hence, it IS possible and it has been done, it is just very difficult if you are using a type I superconductor.

In most experiments (including the one in the above picture) type II superconductors are used. Here the magnet is "stabilized" by flux pinning which holds it in place (if you try to move the magnet it feels a bit like moving it in gel). [\quote]

I've been curious about this. If it take energy to move it about, where it doesn't rebound in position, there is energy being dissipated somewhere. It seems it must go into heating the lattice, but I can only guess at the cause.

Note that the pinning can be "dynamic"; you are free to move the magnet (or the SC) as long as the field configuration stays the same. This is why it is e,g, possible make levitating model trains (with a SC in the "engine" levitating over a magnetic strip); when I was a PhD student we used a train to demonstrate superconductivity for visitors and undergraduates.
By field configuration, I'm guessing you mean the orientation of the magnet. Is that correct?

Register to reply