Register to reply

Abstract Algebra: Question About the Elements in U(n)

by Shoney45
Tags: abstract, algebra, elements
Share this thread:
Shoney45
Feb9-11, 01:14 PM
P: 68
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
For any integer n>2, show that there are at least two elements in U(n) that satisfy x^2 = 1.

2. Relevant equations
None

3. The attempt at a solution
If the definition of the group U(n) is "the set of all positive integers less than n and relatively prime to n" then the group U(5) has elements {1,2,3,4}. Clearly then, 1^2 = 1. But I can't drum up any way to get any other elements in the group to equal 1 when squared.

The set U(n) is a group under modulo n, but I am pretty weak on modular arithmetic, and am trying to spend the day boning up on it. So for now, I don't understand how to find another element such that x^2 = 1.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Shoney45
Feb9-11, 01:26 PM
I'm starting to figure this one out. I chose the case where n = 5. So the set of elements for U(n) = {1,2,3,4}. And under mod 5, 1^2 - 1 and 4^2 = 1.

I'm trying other mod n's, and it is looking like the integers which will equal 1 when squared are 1, and the largest integer in the set.

I don't know how to generalize this for the arbitrary case though. But I'm trying to screw around with a quadratic equation to see where I can go. Since the largest element in U(n) = n-1, I am looking for an mod n such that (n-1)^2 = 1. But I'm not getting very far with this line of thought.
spamiam
Feb9-11, 02:10 PM
P: 366
Here's one way to look at it. In the integers, the equation x2 = 1 has two solutions, namely 1 and -1. Well, this is actually true in U(n) as well, since U(n) is really the multiplicative group [itex] (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times} [/itex]. So how do you write -1 in [itex] \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} [/itex]?

Dick
Feb9-11, 02:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
Abstract Algebra: Question About the Elements in U(n)

(n-1)^2=n^2-2n+1. Reduce those three terms mod n.
Shoney45
Feb9-11, 03:23 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
(n-1)^2=n^2-2n+1. Reduce those three terms mod n.
I've been searching through my book and the internet, and I can't figure out how to do this. I never learned modular arithmetic in my proofs class, so I am having to learn it on the fly in my modern algebra class. Is there a step in the right direction you could give me on this one?
Dick
Feb9-11, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
Two numbers are equal mod n if they differ by an even multiple of n. Can you tell if 0 and n^2 are equal mod n?

Register to reply