Register to reply

Abstract Algebra: Question About the Elements in U(n)

by Shoney45
Tags: abstract, algebra, elements
Share this thread:
Shoney45
Feb9-11, 01:14 PM
P: 68
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
For any integer n>2, show that there are at least two elements in U(n) that satisfy x^2 = 1.

2. Relevant equations
None

3. The attempt at a solution
If the definition of the group U(n) is "the set of all positive integers less than n and relatively prime to n" then the group U(5) has elements {1,2,3,4}. Clearly then, 1^2 = 1. But I can't drum up any way to get any other elements in the group to equal 1 when squared.

The set U(n) is a group under modulo n, but I am pretty weak on modular arithmetic, and am trying to spend the day boning up on it. So for now, I don't understand how to find another element such that x^2 = 1.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Shoney45
Feb9-11, 01:26 PM
I'm starting to figure this one out. I chose the case where n = 5. So the set of elements for U(n) = {1,2,3,4}. And under mod 5, 1^2 - 1 and 4^2 = 1.

I'm trying other mod n's, and it is looking like the integers which will equal 1 when squared are 1, and the largest integer in the set.

I don't know how to generalize this for the arbitrary case though. But I'm trying to screw around with a quadratic equation to see where I can go. Since the largest element in U(n) = n-1, I am looking for an mod n such that (n-1)^2 = 1. But I'm not getting very far with this line of thought.
spamiam
Feb9-11, 02:10 PM
P: 366
Here's one way to look at it. In the integers, the equation x2 = 1 has two solutions, namely 1 and -1. Well, this is actually true in U(n) as well, since U(n) is really the multiplicative group [itex] (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times} [/itex]. So how do you write -1 in [itex] \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} [/itex]?

Dick
Feb9-11, 02:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,246
Abstract Algebra: Question About the Elements in U(n)

(n-1)^2=n^2-2n+1. Reduce those three terms mod n.
Shoney45
Feb9-11, 03:23 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
(n-1)^2=n^2-2n+1. Reduce those three terms mod n.
I've been searching through my book and the internet, and I can't figure out how to do this. I never learned modular arithmetic in my proofs class, so I am having to learn it on the fly in my modern algebra class. Is there a step in the right direction you could give me on this one?
Dick
Feb9-11, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,246
Two numbers are equal mod n if they differ by an even multiple of n. Can you tell if 0 and n^2 are equal mod n?

Register to reply