Prove that every subset ##B## of ##A=\{1,...,n\}## is finite

zenterix
Homework Statement
Prove that every subset ##B## of ##A=\{1,...,n\}## is finite.
Relevant Equations
Note that the definition of a finite set is that either a set is empty or there exists a bijection between the set and ##\{1,2,...,n\}## for some ##n\in\mathbb{N}##.
I am very unsure about the proof below. I'd like to know if it is correct.

If ##B## is empty then it is finite by definition.

If ##B## is non-empty then since ##B\subset\mathbb{N}## it has a smallest element ##b_1##.

If ##B \backslash \{b_1\}## is non-empty then it has a smallest element ##b_2##.

If ##B \backslash \{b_1, b_2\}## is non-empty then it has a smallest element ##b_3##

If we keep repeating this procedure, we will eventually reach the empty set after a maximum of ##n## steps.

The reason for this is that we obtain an element of ##B## in each step (the smallest element in that step), and if we were to obtain more than ##n## elements then ##B## would have more elements than ##\{1, 2, ..., n\}## of which ##B## is a subset.

Suppose that we reach the empty set after ##m\leq n## steps. We have ##b_1, b_2, ..., b_m## elements obtained from these steps.

Define ##g:B\to\{1,...,m\}## by

##g(b_i)=i## for ##i=1,2,...,m##

Claim: ##g## is a bijection.

Proof

Suppose ##g(b_i)=g(b_j)## for any ##b_i, b_j\in B##.

Then by definition of ##g## we have ##i=j## and hence ##b_i=b_j##

Thus, ##g## is injective.

Now, let ##i\in\{1,...,m\}##. Then ##g(b_i)=i## and so ##g## is surjective.

Thus we have obtained a bijection between ##B## and ##\{1,...,m\}## and so ##B## is finite.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using induction might be simpler.

For non-empty [itex]B[/itex] it suffices to find a surjection [itex]\phi : S\to B[/itex] for some finite [itex]S[/itex], since then [itex]|B| \leq |S|[/itex] with equality iff [itex]\phi[/itex] is a bijection.

pasmith said:
For non-empty [itex]B[/itex] it suffices to find a surjection [itex]\phi : S\to B[/itex] for some finite [itex]S[/itex], since then [itex]|B| \leq |S|[/itex] with equality iff [itex]\phi[/itex] is a bijection.
Doesn't finding such a finite ##S## have to go through some procedure like the one in my OP?

That is, don't we have to somehow construct ##S## and isn't that precisely the part of the proof that is the trickiest?

Instead of finding a surjection I found a bijection directly.

Induction must be the way to go.

1. Why is it important to prove that every subset of ##A## is finite?

Proving that every subset of ##A## is finite helps establish the bounded nature of the set ##A## and ensures that no infinite subsets exist within it. This proof is crucial in various mathematical contexts where the finiteness of subsets is a fundamental assumption.

2. How can we prove that every subset of ##A## is finite?

We can prove that every subset of ##A## is finite by contradiction. Assume there exists an infinite subset ##B## of ##A##. By the definition of a subset, every element of ##B## must also be an element of ##A##. However, since ##A## is a finite set, it cannot contain an infinite subset, leading to a contradiction.

3. Does the size of the set ##A## affect the proof that every subset is finite?

No, the size of the set ##A## does not affect the proof that every subset of ##A## is finite. This proof relies on the fundamental property of subsets and the concept of finiteness, which holds true regardless of the specific elements or size of ##A##.

4. Can we generalize this proof to sets other than ##A=\{1,...,n\}##?

Yes, the proof that every subset of ##A=\{1,...,n\}## is finite can be generalized to other sets. As long as the set in question is finite, the same logic and reasoning can be applied to prove that every subset of that set is also finite.

5. What implications does this proof have in mathematical analysis?

The proof that every subset of ##A## is finite has significant implications in mathematical analysis, particularly in establishing the bounded nature of sets and ensuring the validity of various mathematical operations and proofs. This proof forms a foundational concept in many branches of mathematics where finite sets play a crucial role.