Register to reply

Energy - What should I be looking at?

by xJoba
Tags: energy
Share this thread:
xJoba
Feb17-11, 06:57 PM
P: 2
I'm just finishing up my pre-requisites right now for admissions to UBC, and I'm interested in working in the energy sector. More specifically, the "green" energy sector (discovering new ways to efficiently deliver energy that has a low impact on the environment).

I'm trying to decide between these three options:

1)Engineering Physics
- high-level Math and Physics courses, as well as courses in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering
- provides you with the skills and experience needed to develop new technology and interdisciplinary engineering projects.(5 years)

2)Environmental Engineering
- foundation in mathematics, basic sciences, and environmental sciences (for the first 2 years)
- training in engineering fundamentals, engineering analysis, and engineering design, through courses in Civil Engineering and Chemical & Biological Engineering (the second 2 year period)
- The final term at UNBC exposes you to practical environmental engineering problems (half year)
Sample Courses: CHBE 373 - Water Pollution Control; CHBE 484 - Green Engineering Principles & Applications for Process Industries

3)Electrical Engineering
- some of the options available are : Biomedical Engineering, Nanotechnology and Microsystems, or Electrical Energy Systems, as well as a Minor in Honours Mathematics.

I personally am leaning towards physics or EE, but perhaps environmental engineers will be highly sought after. Anyways, I'm looking for different points of views just to maybe give my mind a different way to look at things, or just ideas I hadn't thought of or considered.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Astronuc
Feb17-11, 07:23 PM
Admin
P: 21,887
One could do engineering physics with a minor in environmental engineering, as well as EE courses in circuits, analysis, control and power systems. I'd recommend looking for any overlap in EP, Env E and EE.

Env E is likely rather broad, and if one is interested in green energy (energy production), then Eng Phys and EE with some appropriate courses in Env may be the way to go.

If one is interested in water and sanitation or transportation systems, then Civ E and Env E would be the way to go.
General_Sax
Feb17-11, 07:51 PM
P: 450
EnvE seems mainly geared towards sanitation and how to remediate enviromental hazards.

CJSGrailKnigh
Feb17-11, 07:53 PM
P: 57
Energy - What should I be looking at?

Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering is becoming more popular as a new Eng discipline for schools to offer. One thing to be weary of is that not all have become accredited yet. I know Carleton University offers an accredited SREE program... other than that if you're looking to work on more efficient thermodynamic cycles go mechanical and take Elec electives. If you're looking at more efficient transmission of power go for electrical eng or materials eng. Not really my area of interest but many of my friends are SREE

Register to reply