Should I pursue an Engineering or Physics track?

In summary: While encouraged by advisors to complete courses at community college, physics professors at university were reluctant to accept someone with no prior experience in the subject. They were more likely to accept someone who had completed a physics degree at a university.In summary, Jackieresearch career is very hard to come by. take more classes. the beginning courses are similar for physics and engineering majors. you have a bit of time to decide.research career is very hard to come by. take more classes. the beginning courses are similar for physics and engineering majors. you have a bit of time to decide.
JacklynF1207
Hello, all!

Brand new here, so I'm still learning all the ropes. Anyway.

I'm a first year Electrical & Computer Engineering student at a Community College in Delaware. The program is designed as part of an articulation agreement with the University of Delaware in order to make a transfer to the 4 year institution seamless. From there, I could go into Computer or Electrical Engineering. Alright, so that's my current academic situation.

Now, as far as academic and career goals go, I really would like to get into Physics (ideally astrophysics). I would really like to pursue a research-based career, so I am fully prepared to be in school from now until I receive a PhD. So, I have a dilemma: My Community College doesn't offer any Physics programs, hence why an advisor directed me to the Engineering program (which entails Physics courses). But, the good news is, the University of Delaware offers a Physics BS with an Astrophysics concentration. They then also offer a PhD program with Physics & Astrophysics course requirements. So, now I have a few questions.

1. Does it seem plausible for me to transfer, upon completion of my Associates in C&E Engineering, into a Baccalaureate Physics program?
2. Is it more logical to continue with the Engineering track, complete my Bachelor's, and then pursue a graduate degree in Physics? (And is it likely that I'd get into a Physics graduate program with an Engineering background?)

Any and all advice would be helpful! I've been stuck on this for months, and would appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Jackie

Physics news on Phys.org
research career is very hard to come by. take more classes. the beginning courses are similar for physics and engineering majors. you have a bit of time to decide.

Likes JacklynF1207
MidgetDwarf said:
research career is very hard to come by. take more classes. the beginning courses are similar for physics and engineering majors. you have a bit of time to decide.
Understood. Research may not be the route I end up taking, specifically for that reason. That’s just my dream goal.
I’m glad I got started with Engineering, and I feel like I will do well here, but am worried that I’ll be doing myself a disservice if I don’t follow my interests with Physics.

I'd recommend majoring in physics after you transfer if you decide want to go to grad school in physics. A BS in engineering will not properly prepare you for physics grad school.

You should see what the university expects physics majors to complete in their freshman and sophomore years. Chances are it's intro physics and a bunch of math, the same stuff engineering majors take, and some gen-ed courses, which all the students need to take. I wouldn't expect major obstacles switching into physics when you transfer, but check with the university to make sure.

Likes JacklynF1207
JacklynF1207 said:
Does it seem plausible for me to transfer, upon completion of my Associates in C&E Engineering, into a Baccalaureate Physics program?

You should talk with your advisor and someone at UD. I suspect that the answer is not yes or no but more along the lines of "please take X, Y and Z".

JacklynF1207 said:
Is it more logical to continue with the Engineering track, complete my Bachelor's, and then pursue a graduate degree in Physics?

If you want to get into physics graduate school, an undergraduate degree in physics is best. (And the astrophsyics concentration is probably not very relevant). However, that may not be the best for whatever Plan B you come up with.

Likes JacklynF1207
For either track the most important part of your first two years learning the mathematics. Take everything you can. And learn it well. The good news is that EE and Phystcs share many techniques. Be sure to get to know the prof and become really comfortable with the maths.
The rest will become evident to you I think. .

Likes JacklynF1207
hutchphd said:
For either track the most important part of your first two years learning the mathematics. Take everything you can.
JacklynF1207 said:
I'm a first year Electrical & Computer Engineering student at a Community College in Delaware. The program is designed as part of an articulation agreement with the University of Delaware in order to make a transfer to the 4 year institution seamless. From there, I could go into Computer or Electrical Engineering. Alright, so that's my current academic situation...
Yeah, make sure "seamless" really means you will be taking two full years of math, up to and including differential equations. A 2-year degree in "engineering" is often a watered-down version with, among other things, less math than you actually need for the first 2 years of a 4-year degree.

Likes JacklynF1207
I was in a similar situation as the OP in Northern California in the 1980's.

While encouraged by advisors to complete courses at community college, physics professors at university were reluctant to accept the community college physics courses as meeting requirements, even courses using calculus. University had no problem transferring math courses; so, I completed all the advanced math offered at community and completed undergraduate physics requirements at university.

I found knowing electronics greatly helped understanding physics and practical computer science. Still, math is the key to science and problem solving. I learn new mathematics and seek to broaden my knowledge to this day.

Likes JacklynF1207
These have all been extremely helpful so far. Thank you for all of your thoughts!

vela said:
You should see what the university expects physics majors to complete in their freshman and sophomore years. Chances are it's intro physics and a bunch of math, the same stuff engineering majors take, and some gen-ed courses, which all the students need to take. I wouldn't expect major obstacles switching into physics when you transfer, but check with the university to make sure.
I've looked into both programs extensively. There is quite a bit of overlap between the two majors, especially early on.

Vanadium 50 said:
You should talk with your advisor and someone at UD. I suspect that the answer is not yes or no but more along the lines of "please take X, Y and Z".

If you want to get into physics graduate school, an undergraduate degree in physics is best. (And the astrophsyics concentration is probably not very relevant). However, that may not be the best for whatever Plan B you come up with.
My current advisors haven't been of much help with discussing transferring into a Physics program. I've spoken with UD, and they were mildly helpful so far, but I haven't spoken directly with the Physics program advisor. I'm glad to hear it may be an answer of "please take X, Y and Z" rather than just a yes or a no. I'm not very clear on the transfer process, so I was worried that transferring into a different major would be very difficult.
As far as the graduate degree goes, I was definitely hoping that my Plan B would align well with my Plan A. From what I've read, careers in Physics can be difficult to come by. Engineering feels like a good safety net for entering the job market, but may not necessarily be as fulfilling for me. Hmph.

Likes Klystron
Klystron said:
While encouraged by advisors to complete courses at community college, physics professors at university were reluctant to accept the community college physics courses as meeting requirements, even courses using calculus. University had no problem transferring math courses; so, I completed all the advanced math offered at community and completed undergraduate physics requirements at university.
I'm lucky in that the university has a transfer credit matrix, detailing any courses that have previously been transferred for credit and what their equivalent is at the university. The program I'm in at community is heavy on calculus, with 3 calculus courses and 2 calculus-based physics courses. I hope this will be helpful for my transfer.

russ_watters said:
Yeah, make sure "seamless" really means you will be taking two full years of math, up to and including differential equations. A 2-year degree in "engineering" is often a watered-down version with, among other things, less math than you actually need for the first 2 years of a 4-year degree.
The program I'm in includes Calculus I, II, and III, and also includes Physics I with Calc and Physics II with Calc.

Likes Klystron
These threads (physics or engineering?) are hard to respond to for a number of reasons.

First, nobody here knows you. Your current interest in physics may last for a few months and then you may be on to something else. Or, you may be the reincarnation of Dirac. Nobody here wants to tell the 21st century Dirac not to bother with physics because its too hard to get a professorship.

Second, the academic path is very hard and you can get bumped off for no reason at all. There just are too few spots for all the people who aspire (and are capable). There are numerous threads here, physics grads bitter that their aspirations did not materialize. So people are reluctant to tell you "go for it!"

Third, there's more ways to enjoy physics than you can imagine. Look at the long-time members here. Yes, there are physics and math professors, but there are lots of engineers and even hobbyists. Many "physics" problems can be contemplated and enjoyed on their own merits.

Alot of engineering is really physics, but it is a more directed effort. Tangible goals rather than open-ended thoughts. But on payday is the paycheck. Conversely, it seems that there is more to the academic game than teaching and thinking deep thoughts. They spend a lot of time writing grant proposals and attending faculty meetings.

There are plenty of "I got my degree, now what?" threads here. Read through some of them and make up your own mind. The main take away seems to be, always have a Plan B and even a Plan C. The good news is, you are thinking about this now, so you have plenty of time to make those plans and take the actions needed to make them possible.

Likes JacklynF1207
gmax137 said:
Third, there's more ways to enjoy physics than you can imagine. Look at the long-time members here. Yes, there are physics and math professors, but there are lots of engineers and even hobbyists. Many "physics" problems can be contemplated and enjoyed on their own merits.

Alot of engineering is really physics, but it is a more directed effort. Tangible goals rather than open-ended thoughts. But on payday is the paycheck. Conversely, it seems that there is more to the academic game than teaching and thinking deep thoughts. They spend a lot of time writing grant proposals and attending faculty meetings.
I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback, and this section really got me thinking (and unfortunately, I don't suspect I'm the reincarnation of Dirac). Somehow, I hadn't considered taking on my interests as a hobby. I've been so focused on whether or not I was choosing the right academic path for my career, that I hadn't thought about what I'd still be able to do outside of my degree program. Thank you!

JacklynF1207 said:
I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback, and this section really got me thinking (and unfortunately, I don't suspect I'm the reincarnation of Dirac). Somehow, I hadn't considered taking on my interests as a hobby. I've been so focused on whether or not I was choosing the right academic path for my career, that I hadn't thought about what I'd still be able to do outside of my degree program. Thank you!
Make sure to take linear algebra, ODE, and PDE courses with what ever decision you make. Especially linear algebra, and I even recommend taking an upper division Linear Algebra course from the math department.

1. Should I pursue an Engineering or Physics track?

This is a common question for students who are interested in both fields and are not sure which one to choose. The answer depends on your interests and career goals.

2. What is the main difference between Engineering and Physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

3. Which track offers more job opportunities?

Both Engineering and Physics offer a wide range of job opportunities. However, Engineering tends to have more job openings in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and technology, while Physics graduates often find employment in research, education, and government sectors.

4. Is one track more challenging than the other?

Both Engineering and Physics require a strong foundation in math and science, so they can be equally challenging. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and interests. For example, if you excel in problem-solving and hands-on work, Engineering may be a better fit for you.

5. Can I switch between Engineering and Physics tracks?

It is possible to switch between Engineering and Physics tracks, especially during the early years of your undergraduate studies. However, keep in mind that each track has its own specific courses and requirements, so it may require extra time and effort to switch between them.