Register to reply

LED Current Draw?

by tangodirt
Tags: current, draw
Share this thread:
tangodirt
Feb25-11, 03:57 PM
P: 47
Simple question for you guys. I am trying to drive an LED with a 5V power source and a resistor in series.

I understand how to calculate the minimum resistance needed to drive the LED with maximum current ((voltage supply - forward voltage) / maximum current) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to calculate the current through an LED with a given resistor.

Say, we have our 5V source --> 330 ohm resistor --> LED with forward voltage of 3.15V --> ground. What's the current flowing through the circuit?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
mdjensen22
Feb25-11, 04:05 PM
P: 161
By applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law, you know the voltage across the resistance (supply voltage - forward voltage).

With this, you can apply Ohm's Law to calculate the current through the resistor (you know the voltage across it and the resistance). Since it is a series circuit, the current through the resistor = the current through the LED.
tangodirt
Feb25-11, 04:11 PM
P: 47
Quote Quote by mdjensen22 View Post
By applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law, you know the voltage across the resistance (supply voltage - forward voltage).

With this, you can apply Ohm's Law to calculate the current through the resistor (you know the voltage across it and the resistance). Since it is a series circuit, the current through the resistor = the current through the LED.
Ugh, of course. Too simple. I knew I had enough information to back that number out, I suppose it has just been a long day and my brain already went into weekend mode. Thanks!

jstamour802
Feb27-11, 02:30 PM
P: 4
LED Current Draw?

You'll want to check the LED datasheet for typical operating voltage @ specified current.

Assuming a standard 5mm LED: White @ 20mA

(Vin - Vf) / R = I

Vin = 5 V
Vf = 3.2V (found from LED datasheet @ 20mA)
I = 0.02A

5V - 3.2 / R = 0.02A

R = 90 Ohm

Dont burn up your resistor! Calculate power in R:
P = I^2 * R
P = (0.02 * .02) * 90
P = .036W

Register to reply