Simulation of transistor switch circuit

In summary: With IC = 100 mAdc and IB = 5 mAdc, Vcesat will be a minimum.So in summary, the simulation might be correct, or the data sheet might be more accurate.
Alex Hughes
Hello, I'm new to electronics and I'm reading a book currently to learn more about the topic. I'm currently on a section where I'm building circuits where I'm using a transistor as a switch. I decided to experiment with the circuit they gave me and put it in a simulation software called Proteus. Here it is.

upload_2018-3-21_11-1-29.png

There was one thing I was confused on. In the book it told me I can calculate the current across the LED by taking 6V - 1.8 (voltage drop across the LED) and dividing it by the 330Ohm resistor. When they did this they got 12.7mA. However according to the simulation, if you look at the ammeter it reads 10.9mA. Why is this? I also went to calculate the Vce (voltage across the collector and emitter of the transistor) using the KVL method. I calculated the voltage from the source - the voltage drop across the resistor (330*0.0127) and the voltage drop across the LED and set it equal to Vce. This gave me Vce = 6 - (330*0.0127) - 1.8 which equals 9mV. This seems very low to me but doesn't this make sense because if the transistor is in saturation the voltage across the collector and emitter should be really close to 0 right? Lastly, when I took a voltmeter across the collector and emitter in the simulation I got 0.58V. Can somebody tell me if either me or the simulation is screwing up here. I also made sure to set the voltage drop of my LED to 1.8V in the simulation, so that's not the issue. Please help, this is really bothering me.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-21_11-1-29.png
    upload_2018-3-21_11-1-29.png
    23 KB · Views: 1,409
Engineering news on Phys.org
OK, I am beginner when it comes to these things as well, so I can be off, but have you tried to change R1 to 10k, or even 1k? You are driving 2N2222 with just 60 μA, that can be not enough (β is listed as up to 300, but depending on conditions can start at much lower values, 100 would produce 6 mA though the LED).

Likes davenn
Alex Hughes said:
Hello, I'm new to electronics and I'm reading a book currently to learn more about the topic. I'm currently on a section where I'm building circuits where I'm using a transistor as a switch. I decided to experiment with the circuit they gave me and put it in a simulation software called Proteus. Here it is.

View attachment 222458

There was one thing I was confused on. In the book it told me I can calculate the current across the LED by taking 6V - 1.8 (voltage drop across the LED) and dividing it by the 330Ohm resistor. When they did this they got 12.7mA.

That method ignores the Vcesat of the transistor. So it's just an approximation.
However according to the simulation, if you look at the ammeter it reads 10.9mA. Why is this?

That probably does take into account Vcesat.
I also went to calculate the Vce (voltage across the collector and emitter of the transistor) using the KVL method. I calculated the voltage from the source - the voltage drop across the resistor (330*0.0127) and the voltage drop across the LED and set it equal to Vce. This gave me Vce = 6 - (330*0.0127) - 1.8 which equals 9mV. This seems very low to me but doesn't this make sense because if the transistor is in saturation the voltage across the collector and emitter should be really close to 0 right?

You used 12.7mA (which is the current calculated by ignoring Vcesat) to try and calculate Vcesat. So obviously it will be zero.
Lastly, when I took a voltmeter across the collector and emitter in the simulation I got 0.58V. Can somebody tell me if either me or the simulation is screwing up here. I also made sure to set the voltage drop of my LED to 1.8V in the simulation, so that's not the issue. Please help, this is really bothering me.

The simulation is probably correct.

More later when I get home.

Likes berkeman
Ok I'm back home..

Alex Hughes said:
There was one thing I was confused on. In the book it told me I can calculate the current across the LED by taking 6V - 1.8 (voltage drop across the LED) and dividing it by the 330Ohm resistor. When they did this they got 12.7mA

As I said above that method ignores Vcesat so is just an approximation. It's quite a reasonable thing to do because Vcesat is small compared to the 6V supply voltage and LEDs don't care much about the exact current.

If we want to do things more accurately...

Vcesat can vary depending on the transistor so here is the/a data sheet for the 2N2222A...

http://web.mit.edu/6.101/www/reference/2N2222A.pdf

It gives two values for the Collector−Emitter Saturation Voltage (Vcesat) depending on the base and collector current...

The data sheet says that with IC = 150 mAdc and IB = 15 mAdc, Vcesat will be a maximum of 0.3V. This is lower then the value the simulator gave you (0.58V) probably because your base current is a lot lower so the transistor in your circuit is ON but not as much as it could be (as Borek said). I will use 0.58V in the following calculations...

So the correct method/equation for calculating the current in the LED would be

I = (Vcc - Vd - Vcesat)/ R
= (6 - 1.8 - 0.58)/330
= 10.9mA

This is exactly what the simulator made it confirming that the difference between 12.7mA and 10.9mA is down to the inclusion of Vcesat in the equation or not.

In the real world electronic components like transistors and resistors vary a lot due to manufacturing tolerances. These sometimes have a greater effect on the result than the inclusion or omission of Vcesat. In practice the LED will work just fine with either current so the approximation is reasonable.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Alex Hughes
If you want to experiment try changing the value of R1 to 330 Ohms. That would increase the base current to around

Ib = (Vcc - Vd)/R1 = (6-0.7)/330 = 16mA

That would turn the transistor on harder and should lower the Vcesat from 0.58 to below the datasheet value of 0.3V (assuming the model of the transistor is accurate).

Likes Alex Hughes
CWatters said:
Ok I'm back home..
As I said above that method ignores Vcesat so is just an approximation. It's quite a reasonable thing to do because Vcesat is small compared to the 6V supply voltage and LEDs don't care much about the exact current.

If we want to do things more accurately...

Vcesat can vary depending on the transistor so here is the/a data sheet for the 2N2222A...

http://web.mit.edu/6.101/www/reference/2N2222A.pdf

It gives two values for the Collector−Emitter Saturation Voltage (Vcesat) depending on the base and collector current...

The data sheet says that with IC = 150 mAdc and IB = 15 mAdc, Vcesat will be a maximum of 0.3V. This is lower then the value the simulator gave you (0.58V) probably because your base current is a lot lower so the transistor in your circuit is ON but not as much as it could be (as Borek said). I will use 0.58V in the following calculations...

So the correct method/equation for calculating the current in the LED would be

I = (Vcc - Vd - Vcesat)/ R
= (6 - 1.8 - 0.58)/330
= 10.9mA

This is exactly what the simulator made it confirming that the difference between 12.7mA and 10.9mA is down to the inclusion of Vcesat in the equation or not.

In the real world electronic components like transistors and resistors vary a lot due to manufacturing tolerances. These sometimes have a greater effect on the result than the inclusion or omission of Vcesat. In practice the LED will work just fine with either current so the approximation is reasonable.
Wow, that was the best explanation I've received in a long time. Thank you very much.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman

1. How does a transistor switch circuit work?

A transistor switch circuit works by using a transistor to control the flow of current between two different parts of a circuit. When a small voltage is applied to the base of the transistor, it allows a larger current to flow between the collector and emitter, effectively turning the circuit on or off.

2. What components are needed to simulate a transistor switch circuit?

To simulate a transistor switch circuit, you will need a transistor (such as a bipolar junction transistor or field-effect transistor), resistors, capacitors, and a power supply. You may also need a simulation software or circuit simulator to model the behavior of the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of simulating a transistor switch circuit?

Simulating a transistor switch circuit allows you to test and troubleshoot the circuit before physically building it. This can save time and resources, as well as help identify any potential issues or improvements that can be made to the circuit design.

4. Are there any limitations to simulating a transistor switch circuit?

One limitation of simulation is that it cannot always accurately model real-world conditions or component variations. This means that the simulation may not be an exact representation of how the circuit will behave in a physical setting. Additionally, simulation does not account for external factors such as temperature or interference.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my transistor switch circuit simulation?

To ensure the accuracy of your transistor switch circuit simulation, it is important to use reliable and accurate models for the components in the circuit. It is also helpful to compare the simulation results with real-world measurements and make any necessary adjustments to the simulation parameters. Additionally, it is important to understand the limitations of simulation and not rely solely on the simulation results for final circuit design decisions.