Stimulus for renin angiotensin system?

by sameeralord
Tags: angiotensin, renin, stimulus
sameeralord
Mar2-11, 10:49 AM
P: 635
Hello everyone,

I have to write a simple essay about this,I know what to write but I'm stuck with the stimulus so can't start the essay. My text book is so vague. I want to know the stimulus in a haemorrhage.

1. Is it the decrease in renal perfusion pressure detected by afferent arteriole that secretes renin.
2. Or decrease in sodium chloride deteced by the macula densa that stimulates it.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
bobze
Mar2-11, 07:24 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 640
Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
Hello everyone,

I have to write a simple essay about this,I know what to write but I'm stuck with the stimulus so can't start the essay. My text book is so vague. I want to know the stimulus in a haemorrhage.

1. Is it the decrease in renal perfusion pressure detected by afferent arteriole that secretes renin.
2. Or decrease in sodium chloride deteced by the macula densa that stimulates it.

Thanks
If you have a decrease in renal perfusion, what does the macula densa "see". Does it see more or less sodium? That is how the kidney regulates RAAS.

You should note though, that the RAAS system is complex and requires lots of feed back modifiers. Atrial stretch receptors (barroreceptors) can also alter circulating renin levels.
mtc1973
Mar3-11, 08:27 PM
P: 112
have a look at beta 1 receptors in the autonomics section of any pharm text - and tie that in with the baroreceptor response bobz mentioned

Register to reply